Thread: HEMA Crappling

Style
    BJJ, HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HEMA Crappling

In addition to my black belt in BJJ, I also have a pretty deep love for Historical European Martial Arts. I am a Free Scholar Adept with the Historical Fencing Affiliates, and I've been teaching British Military Sabre and singlestick classes for a little over a year now. As such, I'm a member of a number of HEMA groups on Facebook. Today, one of the other members posted this video.

I tried to be as polite as possible, but I obviously couldn't give this video the encouragement that its presenters were looking to get. So, since I had to be all nice and cordial over there, I figured I'd bring the vid here for a more... liberal analysis.

This isn't the worst crappling that I have ever seen, certainly. But holy crap-- how can anyone think that this sloppy mess of nonsense is worth presenting?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's HEMA where are the daggers?? I didn't watch the whole thing so maybe they pulled out weapons later?? Seriously though I have wrestled harder than that just rough housing around.

Style
    BJJ, HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    If it's HEMA where are the daggers?? I didn't watch the whole thing so maybe they pulled out weapons later?? Seriously though I have wrestled harder than that just rough housing around.
    There's a ton of unarmed grappling in HEMA treatises, too. Dagger definitely has its place, but being a BJJ guy, I tend to be more partial to stuff like von Auerswald's grappling treatments.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    45 seconds in and I can't watch anymore. I could see no clear goals or objectives being accomplished.

Just compliant *checks forum* good natured, completely normal, psuedosexual exploration of ones' sexual identity and comfortability with intimate contact. Young men do this stuff all the time, especially the French. There is no reason to hide it behind the HEMA banner.

They are just having a good time and giggling, leave them kids alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Just compliant *checks forum* good natured, completely normal, psuedosexual exploration of ones' sexual identity and comfortability with intimate contact. Young men do this stuff all the time, especially the French
    I for one fully support the French all being gay. It means we straight Brits don't have to compete with guys with French accents.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was pretty bad. Even for just flowing and messing around a bit, the leverage and understanding of movement was all wrong.

If only half guard sweeps were as simple as the couple I saw here, turning the wrong way even. Dang.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe View Post
    There's a ton of unarmed grappling in HEMA treatises, too. Dagger definitely has its place, but being a BJJ guy, I tend to be more partial to stuff like von Auerswald's grappling treatments.
    Oh I know there is unarmed grappling in HEMA, but why when you get to play with sharp stuff??

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I for one fully support the French all being gay. It means we straight Brits don't have to compete with guys with French accents.
    I said nothing about sexual preferences, just the French's openness to exploration which means you are still competing with them in the dating pool. Don't get all hopeful and twisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.