Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exploding refrigerator causes 27-story blaze in London

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wer-block.html

First, hearts and minds to the survivors of this tragedy.

Second, I've never heard of an exploding fridge, but it seems to be an epidemic in the UK. In my little research, it's either caused by "green," coolant leaking, or by off-gassing of the insulation materials, combined with a spark from the compressor turning on.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    London's getting the bad news at the moment. Someone's getting the high-jump for this.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far the exploding fridge is just a rumour/hearsay. London Fire Brigade were quick to stress that the cause was not know until there had been a proper investigation.

However, I'm struggling to understand that in this day and age **** like this happens in this country....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to wonder if that building was up to code and after seeing the news reports I'm guessing nope. Also what kind of knock off fridges do they sell in the UK??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pictures of the fire are just horrifying.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I have to wonder if that building was up to code and after seeing the news reports I'm guessing nope. Also what kind of knock off fridges do they sell in the UK??
    Conjecture at this point that it was caused by a faulty fridge. If it was it must have been an ancient one - fridges in the UK/EU have to meet (I imagine) fairly strict safety standards.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also the whole thing about the residents' committee which was complaining for years that the building is unsafe. Wonder how that's gonna play out.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    There's also the whole thing about the residents' committee which was complaining for years that the building is unsafe. Wonder how that's gonna play out.
    Badly - in the UK these are owned by the local council who lease them to tenants so they take responsibility. I see big legal fees and court cases. Might even be criminal cases if criminal negligence can be proved - councillors in jail.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    The residents were obviously right the building wasn't safe.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    So far the exploding fridge is just a rumour/hearsay. London Fire Brigade were quick to stress that the cause was not know until there had been a proper investigation.

However, I'm struggling to understand that in this day and age **** like this happens in this country....
    Yeah I know. We've got high building safety regs compared to the rest of Europe and electrics are usually very tight as well but there's always some arsehole trying to ice skate up hill, someone will always turn a blind eye for cash or to cut a corner.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last