Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cool ideas that you would like to see spread from gym to gym.

So I saw this video

http://www.facebook.com/Meerkatsu/vi...3320153728381/

and I of course liked it.

Obviously said video itself isn't really meaty enough to be a topic.

So what cool little things does your Gym do?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two days a week the BJJ gym I was most recently attending had an hour long beginner/drilling class, immediately followed by the conditioning/technique/rolling class.
    Plenty of the blue belts and couple higher were regular attendees, just honing the basics.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friday <insert alternative day here> Night Fights - no official class, lessons, drills or any real structure. Whoever wants to attend just shows up, the radio plays in the background, match ups and rule sets are determined ad hoc throughout the evening, and bout after bout unfolds, while everyone else cheers and "coaches" from the sidelines. As everyone lingers, after they get their personal fill ass whoopin and gratuitous friendly violence, the focus shifts to beer and bs.

Style
    BJJ, HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At Kurt Pellegrino MMA, every now and again, we do tag-team rolling. It's a fun little diversion, and it is really interesting to see how quickly a high-percentage technique can fail when another body is involved.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Friday <insert alternative day here> Night Fights - no official class, lessons, drills or any real structure. Whoever wants to attend just shows up, the radio plays in the background, match ups and rule sets are determined ad hoc throughout the evening, and bout after bout unfolds, while everyone else cheers and "coaches" from the sidelines. As everyone lingers, after they get their personal fill ass whoopin and gratuitous friendly violence, the focus shifts to beer and bs.

Oh that reminds me a place I was at did Simulated competition, Everyone watching, refs, score keepers, et all like twice a month, it was really good to see the difference between free rolling/randori and competing.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I had a gym, we were doing the 22 pushups thing with regularity.

I'm homeless, right now, so I'm relegated to body-weight training, which translates to seeing how hard I can hold down the couch. I'm getting pretty good at it.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe View Post
    At Kurt Pellegrino MMA, every now and again, we do tag-team rolling. It's a fun little diversion, and it is really interesting to see how quickly a high-percentage technique can fail when another body is involved.
    We actually did something along these lines today. You're right that it was a lot of fun, in novelty if nothing else.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    We actually did something along these lines today. You're right that it was a lot of fun, in novelty if nothing else.
    Did you find the activity of no realistic benefit?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    Did you find the activity of no realistic benefit?
    It isn't that I don't see tangible benefit.

At my level of skill and fitness, it's pretty much a given that I am going to get smashed no matter what. Since I can barely save myself from being utterly humiliated by a single person, taking on two people at the same time made me feel it was going to require much more effort and energy than my lazy self would otherwise need to put into getting my ass handed to me.

But, once it started mixing up, it was surprisingly fun.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is already quite common but at my club we sometimes do a drill where one person has to spar everyone in the class in succession without any breaks, generally when people are preparing for a fight. It's a pretty good way to test your fitness and there's a lot more pressure once you get tired

Page 1 of 2 12 Last