Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Longtime reader, first-time poster; or “Welcome to my impending mid-life crisis”

I think the title conveys a pretty good idea of what this post is about. I’ve read Bullshido for maybe 10 years, off and on. I love the threads I read- the skepticism, the discussion, and the routine slaughter of sacred cows, no matter their country of origin. After such a long time, I decided to take the plunge and become a supporting member to show my appreciation for the site and what goes on here.

I am a longtime student of the martial arts (started Goju Ryu when I was 10, circa 1983), and all of my training has been in the TMA and McDojo world- I was even a full-time McDojo instructor myself (ATA TKD, started in 1988, became a BB instructor in 1990). I gave that up in 2000, and my time dedicated to training any martial arts at all dwindled over the years. A few years ago, I went back to school to learn programming (ITT Tech - boy, can I pick the winners or what?) which had me sitting in a chair staring at a screen most of the day. I’ve also since published my first novel on Amazon- which represents even more time sitting in a chair staring at a screen. As you can imagine, my level of fitness has plummeted. This lack of exercise led to a knee injury and back problems. I had surgery almost two years ago; the knee continues to improve, but isn’t 100% (and probably never will be. Getting old sucks!).

I’ve started working out again, a month or two ago. Nothing serious- I’m frankly not up to it yet. But I got a gym membership, and I’ve been going regularly (thanks to a friend and coworker- a workout buddy is a good motivating factor for me). For now, I’m just trying to re-establish my range of motion, doing some kicks and slow execution of forms, and increase my intensity little by little over time. It feels good, though, and it’s making me want to get into serious training- hence the mid-life crisis mentioned in the title.

You see, despite a lifetime of study, I’ve never been in an actual fight. A couple of minor scuffles in high school, but never a fight where I felt my safety was truly threatened. I’ve never found myself in a situation that I couldn’t talk my way out of, or just plain walk away from. I got a taste of full contact in the form of kickboxing sparring during my time in the ATA. I rather liked it, and ever since I have secretly wondered if I have what it takes to hack it as a real fighter. I am untested, and it irks me. My goal is to improve my condition enough to engage in full contact sparring- MMA, hopefully.

I was a 2nd degree ATA black belt teaching full time at my instructor’s dojang when I saw my first UFC. One of my students showed up for class with a VHS tape, saying “You’ve gotta see this, I taped it from cable. It’s martial artists from all different styles fighting without formal rules.” So after the last class of the night (adult class), we pulled in a TV and VCR, and everyone gathered around to watch. It was UFC 2.

That was the beginning of the end of the ATA for me. Right there, before my very eyes, I witnessed the utter futility of the skillset I had been cultivating. There was no denying it. It was right there to watch, rewind and watch again. Yep, I used to be one of those: “I don’t need to know how to wrestle, they’ll never be able to get their hands on me”. That particular delusion died that night, I assure you. That same student returned a short time later with UFC 3 on tape, so that delusion was dug up, raised from the dead, and killed again.

I’ve loved watching MMA evolve over the years, and what it has done for the martial arts. In a similar way, I love watching Bullshido lay out the cold honest truth on things. The forum is like full-contact sparring. The ‘mean’ posts just help condition you and toughen you up. It’s a form of training; an expression of tough love. After all, if you aren’t tough enough to handle the emotional impact of a forum post, how are you gonna react when you get punched in the face?

If you’ve read this far, thanks for your time and attention. I look forward to crying myself to sleep at night after proper chastisement for the future stupid I am sure to post.

If you haven’t read this far, WELL **** YOU TOO.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are very few here I wouldn't buy a beer.

Welcome to the posters club long time lurker.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even the title is TL;DR

Welcome.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this guy.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Even the title is TL;DR

Welcome.
    Thank you. Now I can go to bed with tears in my eyes.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome from the shadows, SneakyGoblin. You will find much in common with many of the posters here- relative newcomers like myself, and the long time established participants.

Like you, I have lurked here off and on for years before ever registering and actually posting anything.

I've found most of the regulars here are fine human beings, they just need someone to throw hand grenades at them for the rest of their lives.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Welcome from the shadows, SneakyGoblin. You will find much in common with many of the posters here- relative newcomers like myself, and the long time established participants.

Like you, I have lurked here off and on for years before ever registering and actually posting anything.

I've found most of the regulars here are fine human beings, they just need someone to throw hand grenades at them for the rest of their lives.
    Pardon me, Grouch. I am clumsy and hit the downvote instead of the upvote on this reply.

Is there a way to fix that, folks? I've done it twice now.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    Pardon me, Grouch. I am clumsy and hit the downvote instead of the upvote on this reply.

**** happens, I don't think you can do anything about it but it's not a big deal, you just lose one Internet point

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    **** happens, I don't think you can do anything about it but it's not a big deal, you just lose one Internet point
    hahahahahahahahaaha
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post

Don't vote on mobile devices... that's the best I've got for ya right now because there is no way to fix it, ever.

You just look like a douche and everyone you violated will cry themselves to sleep wondering why you thought that post was super super stupid, not contributing to the conversation, or dangerously wrong.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last