Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how much do boxing and kickboxing actually translate technique wise?

So last night I tried out boxing. Done K-1 and Goju Ryu for a while now for striking and figured why not.

Anywho the place I trained seemed to do things a bit differently than what Im used to:

- square on stance as opposed to turned with one shoulder forward
    - planted footwork with weight really driven into the ground, both feet must be facing directly forward unless hooking (then only one foot pivots)
    - when punching, throwing the hip and knee forward (so front knee past front toe when jabbing) then back into the low sitting stance (honestly this felt awkward, why not just step into it?)

Now Im no boxer, and dont claim to know, but some of these things felt odd compared to the K-1 Ive done where we're on our toes, kinda bouncy and stepping into attacks and only planting to attack rather than all the time. Is there a specific reason for this, or the prefered square on gaurd?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that Bas prefers to square up.

Tyson preferred to square up, but that is informed some by the peek a boo style.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's usually the other way around if anything.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have all the answers, but my advice would be to not overthink it, assuming you chose coaches you trust and believe in. They're two different sports. Different people have different styles within those sports. You'll develop your own style too. Try to do boxing the way your coaches tell you when you're in the boxing gym. Also......wear shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOOzufOpcA

Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes this sounds the opposite of my experience. Boxing stances are frequently more bladed since you don't need to worry about low kicks, and light-footed since you don't need to contend with push-kicks.

That said boxing differs a lot stylistically from place to place, since obviosuly it's not restricted by any particular curriculum. Could just be that way due to the personal preferences of the instructor for infighting. You able to find competition records?

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I don't have all the answers, but my advice would be to not overthink it, assuming you chose coaches you trust and believe in. They're two different sports. Different people have different styles within those sports. You'll develop your own style too. Try to do boxing the way your coaches tell you when you're in the boxing gym. Also......wear shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOOzufOpcA
    Bringing up the shoes thing, I honestly found sweating made me more likely to slide on my feet a bit more, do you have any brand recommendations?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Bringing up the shoes thing, I honestly found sweating made me more likely to slide on my feet a bit more, do you have any brand recommendations?
    Get something with tassels. Tassels improve your footwork by 12-15%

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Get something with tassels. Tassels improve your footwork by 12-15%
    shiny, glittery or rainbow?