Style
    MMA, KM, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help a short person

It's an age old question but it still needs to be asked. I need help as a short person.
    Little background. I am 5 foot 5 at 200 lb with a very rectangular build and low center of gravity. My primary three martial arts are MMA, Krav Maga, and Taekwondo. I am a south paw striker above all else though on the ground people say I am very good at defense as well as being difficult to choke and difficult to take down.

Now, I'm doing ok against the taller fighters but I still have an issue when they use longer ranged attacks to try to intercept me on my way in or keep me at distance. Now, I've been able to mostly compensate for this by kicking at their punching range or just pelting their legs with leg kicks but, overall, I still have trouble getting into pocket and when I am in pocket I usually end up only doing body punches because I can't reach their heads. I'm ok when they become aggressive. I can consistently land leg kicks and even use bursting to get into them and land a few hits to the head but if I have to fight taller fighter that takes a more passive approach, I can't get in. They always tend to throw a quick combo the moment I'm at the edge of their range then quickly retreat.

I think what I need to work on is my foot work. One of my trainers suggests that when we're circling each other, circle the other direction and intercept where they will be. But, overall, I still need more tips on how to handle the bigger guys.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reach is a thing,
    I suggest you dropping down to the weight class where your opponents have the same reach as you.
    Also being smaller will make you more mobile.
    Cutting angles of course helps but if someone has more reach than you they are going to have a serious advantage.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryOrange View Post
    It's an age old question but it still needs to be asked. I need help as a short person.
    Little background. I am 5 foot 5 at 200 lb with a very rectangular build and low center of gravity. My primary three martial arts are MMA, Krav Maga, and Taekwondo. I am a south paw striker above all else though on the ground people say I am very good at defense as well as being difficult to choke and difficult to take down.

Now, I'm doing ok against the taller fighters but I still have an issue when they use longer ranged attacks to try to intercept me on my way in or keep me at distance. Now, I've been able to mostly compensate for this by kicking at their punching range or just pelting their legs with leg kicks but, overall, I still have trouble getting into pocket and when I am in pocket I usually end up only doing body punches because I can't reach their heads. I'm ok when they become aggressive. I can consistently land leg kicks and even use bursting to get into them and land a few hits to the head but if I have to fight taller fighter that takes a more passive approach, I can't get in. They always tend to throw a quick combo the moment I'm at the edge of their range then quickly retreat.

I think what I need to work on is my foot work. One of my trainers suggests that when we're circling each other, circle the other direction and intercept where they will be. But, overall, I still need more tips on how to handle the bigger guys.
    What is your body fat percentage?

Get better at grappling
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    MMA, KM, TKD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What is your body fat percentage?

Get better at grappling
    18% body fat percentage.

I've thought about that but I still need to be able to close the distance and, even in competitions, people try to avoid grappling me. They seem very content with just sticking with striking to take advantage of my small size.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blah blah blah... But, overall, I still need more tips on how to handle the bigger guys.
    Get Gud.

I am six foot even and usually walk around at 150. I move(d) well and fast. There was nothing more frustrating than sparring someone who was 6'8" and 260 and moves every bit as fast and with as much coordination. Airman Kai was so much fun. He could kick you in the head from 8 feet away... same with his jab.

It was fucked.

The first time we sparred we worked technique and went polite and friendly and had a lot of fun til he cut me off and cornered me and I dick kicked his junk into his anus going for an inside leg kick. I shelled up a little up top, washed my hair to glance his heavy ass hand off my forearm and sent what should have been a thigh/ass numbing inside leg kick since he was moving forward... but instead it ended up being a front/soccer style kick. . With the shin straight on his unprotect squishy junk. I mean he was wearing shorts and underwear but ... No cup. I could tell. I wasn't wearing shin pads.

I felt real bad.
    He had to take more than a few minutes...
    I felt real bad.

So there is that... I mean he wasn't even all that good. His striking was kinda sloppy (he was used to always play sparring cause he knocked people fucking loopy with his hands and legs by accident) but he was smart and athletic enough to really use his reach and mass. He, like me, were serious about the FUNdamentals so he could really keep you moving.

If you care about winning you can kick em straight in their junk. It might work but it might just piss them off.

You just have to get better.
    It sucks to punch tall people in the face, practice and prep that and note how badly it fucks up you guard your footwork and everything else. The second time I sparred him (months later) it was easier to hit him in the face, I had been practicing because I felt stupid jumping at him like toddler for a ball. Inner leg kicks worked much better cause he would jump backwards and double palm to block his balls which were beneath this giant foam external TKD cup/diaper thing.

I got a couple good looks at that diaper thing because he had been practicing and could kick me in the head from across the room seemingly at will. It was fucked. I thought I got gud. He got gud too tho. We laughed and he kicked me in the head. I kicked him in the head. I do have video of me gently kicking him in the face that day ... somewhere.

Definately work on your movement. Get taller..lead weights in your gloves and shin pads?

Maybe I missed the ruleset you were talking about sparring in... let me reread that post... yeah don't see it. You are describing striking when the obvious answer him takedown and submit.

There are tricks and tips but they are so specific and it's mainly stuff you just pick up on just like anything else. Tall fast and heavy people suck. Any two of the three suck and all three really suck. Just practice with tall people and ask your coach.

Oh the just take them down and submit them **** didn't work on Kai. ************ had sloppy ass but really sound Judo skills. You clinch with him and he would send you on a little journey to the mat. With you pulled tight and square on the bottom. He could sprawl and he had a great scarf hold he constantly worked to end up in... where he would noogy your head and bop your nose till you submitted or got away. Not a real finisher on the ground but it worked for the situation.

I watched a 5'10" ish 275lbs Judoka (landscaper, serious Black Belt. hard as nails, wonderful dude in St Louis who let us heathens into his school, he had AMAZING hand stitched mats and the most awesome little building) slam Kai like a child and run an almost unwilling submission clinic on him both times.

TLDR:
    ... oh my god I have got to get out of the house! Super tall people suck. Get better.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/06/2017 1:19am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am here because AngryOrange reported a post which told him to "Get Gud".
    Does anyone know anything about such a terrible thing?

*edit*
    Oh!!! That was me along with a small fucking essay as to why it is the only real answer.
    Sorry you don't like the answer dude.

:(

There are weight classes for a reason. All the other tips have been covered for the most part.
    You said you: can't control the distance, set the pace, get in for successful takedowns, get or stay in the pocket, slow them down with leg and body shots, nothing is working. You are left with getting better just like everyone else who runs into the problem.

Or as the internet says "Get Gud".

Also Advanced Striking ----------> Basic Tech. because most people run into the problem of being short at the very beginning of their martial arts journey.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/06/2017 8:08am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't take a joke, you can't take a punch. Maybe try knitting as a hobby?
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    18% body fat percentage.

I've thought about that but I still need to be able to close the distance and, even in competitions, people try to avoid grappling me. They seem very content with just sticking with striking to take advantage of my small size.
    OK, so you are not a fatty at least. You must have some serious Neanderthal genetics going there...and I don't mean that as an insult!

Seriously, I bet they do avoid grappling with you.

I can't help you in the realm of striking/closing distance against strikers. You need to find a good MMA/grappling coach who can tailor a training program to take advantage of your physical traits.

The guys here who can do that are Murphy, Rayce, and Omega as far as I know. They might be able to hook you up with someone who can help, depending on your location.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are seriously 5'5" and 200 lbs @18% bodyfat, you are built for hip and shoulder throws. Learn some of those, people will have a tough time stopping a short really strong guy turning in on them.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not for nothing but isn't 18% body fat a bit high to be competitive in combat sports?
    I mean I am sitting here calling anyone a fatty but it seems higher than most of the people I know that are serious about competing.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence