Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I would suggest the track. <Seriously.

What part of Orange County do you live in. I know it may be an hour drive but if you'd cruise over to the Dan Inasanto Academy or contact them and see if any of their instructors are in the area. I would say that would be your next best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    ^^Quoted for truth.

If defense against knives is really all that you are looking at a martial art for I suggest you save yourself the monthly club fees and invest that money in a good pair of running shoes and some knife resistant clothing I personally think these guys are the best bang for your buck:
    http://www.ppss-group.com/

Beyond that I can teach you everything you need to know to defend yourself against a knife attack in about 20-30mins. For you to be able to apply those skills in any meaningful way however, you are going to need to have years of training in some sort of grappling sport that emphasizes wrist and arm control, think SAMBO, Judo or BJJ. Without that, and a good bit of sparring, running will be your best bet. With that, running will still probably be your go to option, but you will have some defensive capability should that not be available.

Oh and I should probably mention that the likelihood of someone pulling a knife on you for anything other than intimidation is really low, and you are probably best off just giving them what they want(wallet, keys, shoes). If you are going to engage someone, even unarmed outside of a sporting event, you are gambling your life, make no mistake about that, ultimately you have to decide what is worth your life. Getting mugged is a shot to the pride without a doubt. Is your pride, the $100 in your wallet, and the credit cards you can cancel and replace worth your life?

Style
    newb at BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.

Allow me to clarify:

I'm looking for instruction on how I can effectively use a knife to defend myself against someone bigger or stronger than me who does *not* have a knife nor any training in bladed weapons. E.g. big dude(s) on the street or in a parking structure at night who I want to avoid trading punches with or going to the ground with.

I live in Irvine.

Thanks.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounce View Post

Allow me to clarify:

I'm looking for instruction on how I can effectively use a knife to defend myself against someone bigger or stronger than me who does *not* have a knife nor any training in bladed weapons. E.g. big dude(s) on the street or in a parking structure at night who I want to avoid trading punches with or going to the ground with.

I live in Irvine.

Thanks.

^ Just do this.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Allow me to clarify:

I live in Irvine.

Thanks.
    Why a knife? Why not say a tazer gun?
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You live in Irvine what the heck are you scared about?
    https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/irvine/crime

aside your irrational fear
    https://dogbrothers.com/
    is one of the best Knife defense resource around.

For instruction on using a knife on someone that is empty handed?
    Well you better have some damn good legal insurance the State of CA doesn't look to kindly at that.
    Also its take the pointy end and put it into them as many times as you can.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Why a knife? Why not say a tazer gun?
    or a Gun, gun.

CA while being more anti-gun than a lot of states is still a State in the USA.
    We can own guns and gasp get ccw permits.
    http://www.ocsd.org/about/info/servi...al_application
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Allow me to clarify:

I live in Irvine.

Thanks.
    That doesn't take any particular training. The tricky bit is having a lawyer good enough to get you off of the attempted murder charge you'll be facing.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ.

A few thoughts: What are you so scared of in Irvine?

You are seriously dumb to think of pulling a knife on an unarmed attacker. Learn to run, or learn to fight. Otherwise, you need a weapon reasonably associated with self defense, that means a gun or taser.

I'd consider being less of a coward first though.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Jesus Christ.

A few thoughts: What are you so scared of in Irvine?
    I know right?

This is the best story from Irvine for those people outside of SoCal to understand Irvine.
    http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

Style
    newb at BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for those who provided helpful responses. I will look into the dog brothers material. Wonder if there are local schools that teach these types of skills.

As for the others resoonses, I'm just curious, is this the way this Bullshido forum is , in general ?

I pose a question about fighting arts, and instead of providing an answer, I am told why I shouldn't be asking the question. Yes, Irvine is the safest city of its size in the country for eight years running. Yes, I am a registered gun owner. Neither are by necessity, but by choice. Same with choosing to acquire skills in knife fighting or riding a road bike 200 miles. I don't dispute that I don't need these skills.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last