Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trump on Paris accord: 'We're getting out'

CNN reports

President Donald Trump proclaimed Thursday he was withdrawing the US from the Paris climate accord, a sweeping step that fulfills a campaign promise while acutely dampening global efforts to curb global warming.

Speaking from the White House, Trump said he was open to renegotiating aspects of the agreement, which was inked under his predecessor and which all nations except two have signed onto.

But he was withering in his criticism of the pact, which he cast as a humiliating defeat for American workers that unfairly advantaged foreign countries.
    Without a shred of irony or self awareness he then commented

"At what point does America get demeaned? At what point do they start laughing at us as a country?" Trump inquired during an afternoon event held in a sun-drenched Rose Garden.
    "We want fair treatment," Trump said. "We don't want other countries and other leaders to laugh at us anymore."
    This completely retarded move which reminds me of Trump's promises to bring back coal jobs while the Coal Industry Reps and Union Leaders were making public statements stating the jobs are not going to be there.

Among his advisors who have left over Trump's choice with the Paris Accord are Elon Musk and Bob Iger, CEO of Disney.

Trump was quoted as saying
    "I was elected by the citizens of Pittsburgh," Trump said, "not Paris."
    Which was hilarious because the Mayor of Pittsburgh immediately tweeted
    Fact: Hillary Clinton received 80% of the vote in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh stands with the world & will follow Paris agreement.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/02/2017 6:04am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pres. Trump cited an MIT report as for part of his reasoning for leaving the Paris Accord.
    MIT says "He greatly misunderstood the Climate Research".

The Reuters' Article covers it best.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology officials said U.S. President Donald Trump badly misunderstood their research when he cited it on Thursday to justify withdrawing the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement.

Trump announced during a speech at the White House Rose Garden that he had decided to pull out of the landmark climate deal, in part because it would not reduce global temperatures fast enough to have a significant impact.

"Even if the Paris Agreement were implemented in full, with total compliance from all nations, it is estimated it would only produce a two-tenths of one degree Celsius reduction in global temperature by the year 2100," Trump said.

"Tiny, tiny amount."

That claim was attributed to research conducted by MIT, according to White House documents seen by Reuters. The Cambridge, Massaschusetts-based research university published a study in April 2016 titled "How much of a difference will the Paris Agreement make?" showing that if countries abided by their pledges in the deal, global warming would slow by between 0.6 degree and 1.1 degrees Celsius by 2100.

"We certainly do not support the withdrawal of the U.S. from the Paris agreement," said Erwan Monier, a lead researcher at the MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change, and one of the study's authors.

"If we don't do anything, we might shoot over 5 degrees or more and that would be catastrophic," said John Reilly, the co-director of the program, adding that MIT's scientists had had no contact with the White House and were not offered a chance to explain their work.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/02/2017 6:43am at . Reason: illiteracy
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what worries me about Trump. There's been way to much emphasis on how offensive he is, but this is the real issue IMO

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    This is what worries me about Trump. There's been way to much emphasis on how offensive he is, but this is the real issue IMO
    I agree and on that note this is NOT the Trump Shitpost thread and this thread should only focus on the anti-science, anti-intelligentsia, and the political, social, and economic implications of ignoring the data and the scientific community which is interpreting the data.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This makes me happy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why exactly? Not that I suggest that I am an expert on climate science, but it should be fairly obvious that focusing on oil & coal is yesterdays technology and that the only possible future is in alternative energy sources. China, a country with far fewer resources than America, is now likely to attempt to take the lead in developing such technologies.

Even assuming that manmade climate change is a hoax (it isn't), how is this anything but shortsighted pandering to midwestern coalminers and big oil bosses?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious. Have any of you read the terms of the agreement that he decided to step away from?

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Just curious. Have any of you read the terms of the agreement that he decided to step away from?
    I have the Paris Agreement in front of me ATM. Which are the articles POTUS opposes to? Which ones have to be renegotiated?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I have the Paris Agreement in front of me ATM. Which are the articles POTUS opposes to? Which ones have to be renegotiated?
    Yes. All of the above.

I haven't read any of it. I'm in favor of not destroying the world with filth. However, I'm also of the opinion that we should make decisions that are fiscally responsible. So I'd be curious to know the details. Maybe I'll read up if I have the time. Specifically, I'd like to know how much of the financial burden the U.S. was bearing vs. other nations. I don't know. But I suspect most of the people bitching about pulling out don't know the details either.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^A highly fair point. Although it rather assumes that Trump has read the agreement as well, which is honestly far from guaranteed.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... Last