Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    Kung-Fu Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    958
    Style
    BJJ, HEMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little bit of Devil's Advocate, here.

    Josh Waitzkin was a world champion in Tai Chi push-hands before beginning his journey in BJJ. He's now a black belt under Marcelo Garcia and has noted that his Tai Chi experience gave him a big advantage in sensitivity and responsivity when he began learning Jiu-Jitsu.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I agree with this too. I guess I should ammend my earlier post to say, it's really good exercise for old people. Like really old.

    But probably not as good as a tailored resistance training regime. Weights are good for old people too.
    I do yoga before and after weight training and it's pretty useful for warming up and cooling down.

    I've never trained it, but based on the videos I imagine tai chi before or after weights is practically the same.

    It's probably more useful AS you get older. At almost 40 I'm no spring chicken and my body needs to properly prepare and slow down from exercise, or I pay painful penalties.

    I'll never think poorly of slow, graceful stretching exercises, even at middle age.

  3. #13
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe View Post
    A little bit of Devil's Advocate, here.

    Josh Waitzkin was a world champion in Tai Chi push-hands before beginning his journey in BJJ. He's now a black belt under Marcelo Garcia and has noted that his Tai Chi experience gave him a big advantage in sensitivity and responsivity when he began learning Jiu-Jitsu.
    Translation:having some grappling experience is useful for all grappling.

  4. #14
    Kung-Fu Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    958
    Style
    BJJ, HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Translation:having some grappling experience is useful for all grappling.
    Yeah, that's a fair analysis. I've heard similar things from guys who started in Aikido before training BJJ, as well.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Tai chi is used to fight two of the most brutal enemies you can ever face father time and his partner arthritis. This actually makes it probably the most useful of all martial arts.
    I read somewhere Tai Chi wasn't necessarily that good if you have arthritis...I need time to find the study, but stand by.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    208
    Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a recollection of there being several examples of tai-chi schools consistently producing competent wrestlers and kickboxers. The 'full contact kung fu' thread has a few.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen them brought up in the discussions surrounding this event. Also, wasn't yang-style largely spread through challenge matches (well prior to being adopted and modified turned 'long form' by the chinese government.

    I mean, obviosuly tai chi has no fighting application as practiced by the vast majority of people, but I get the impression that what is practiced by the majority of people is somewhat of a mis-characterization of tai chi. I've seen a few demonstrations of tai chi applications that were pretty similar to well-known wrestling techniques.

    this post is a little all over the place, sorry, I just wanted to remind people of this, see how it influences the discussion.

  7. #17
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,538
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Tai Chi is for pussies.
    Tai Chi is for old people and pussies.
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    I read somewhere Tai Chi wasn't necessarily that good if you have arthritis...I need time to find the study, but stand by.
    Still can't find it, but I found these.

    Efficacy of Tai Chi on Pain, Stiffness and Function in Patients with Osteoarthritis: A Meta-Analysis

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3631149/

    Tai chi may be as good as physical therapy for arthritis-related knee pain
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/t...n-201606159780

    Exploring Tai Chi in rheumatoid arthritis: a quantitative and qualitative study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2845097/

    Conclusions

    Improved muscle function in lower limbs was also reflected when patient experiences with Tai Chi were studied in depth in this explorative study. The combination of qualitative and quantitative research methods shows that Tai Chi has beneficial effects on health not related to disease activity and standardised health status assessment, and may contribute to an understanding of how Tai Chi exerts its effects

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    8
    Style
    MMA, KM, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guird View Post
    I have a recollection of there being several examples of tai-chi schools consistently producing competent wrestlers and kickboxers. The 'full contact kung fu' thread has a few.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen them brought up in the discussions surrounding this event. Also, wasn't yang-style largely spread through challenge matches (well prior to being adopted and modified turned 'long form' by the chinese government.

    I mean, obviosuly tai chi has no fighting application as practiced by the vast majority of people, but I get the impression that what is practiced by the majority of people is somewhat of a mis-characterization of tai chi. I've seen a few demonstrations of tai chi applications that were pretty similar to well-known wrestling techniques.

    this post is a little all over the place, sorry, I just wanted to remind people of this, see how it influences the discussion.
    People view martial arts as a set of tools. If one is not working, it is useless. If one outperforms the other, it must be better. But martial arts is a pool, a skill pool. Different arts take different things from that pool for different reasons, each one modified for their own purposes and utilized based on what rules do and do not exist. Tai-chi (and aikido for that matter) take from a very small section of that pool. Close quarters, forward moving, aggressive opponents are what these two martial arts specialize in but that is also what they require. If the other person is not being a committed aggressor, then Tai-chi and aikido practitioners have nothing to do. Other grappling arts like wrestling, judo, and bjj cover the exact same facet and much more. That's why the the former always melt under pressure. They need very specific situations to work and the latter martial arts cover what to do in the same situations as well as many more. These two martial arts work well as a way to reinforce or strengthen existing skills. Much like how when i went into MMA I had a boxing coach improve my hand game, these two martial arts should be used to improve your usage of your opponents movement and momentum (and the skilled grapplers you talked about do that). But on its own, it doesn't cover enough to be effective.

    (Of course I say all this assuming you are going to a descent tai-chi school and not one of those ones with an instructor who says he can knock you out by flicking you or throwing chi balls at you)

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,307
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Close quarters, forward moving, aggressive opponents are what these two martial arts specialize in but that is also what they require.
    They're not good at it, though.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in