Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    not sure if you caught the sarcasm so felt I should double check
    I'd had too much coffee when I wrote that ;0)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought Black Belt Karate: The Intensive Course awhile back. The moves are similar to what I learned in Taekwondo and there are lesson plans that lay out what you should be working on every day. You don't actually get any belt ranking from it or anything and I'm not sure how helpful it would be for someone who has never done TKD or Karate, but it's a pretty rad little reference book. Imagine something like Jiu-Jitsu University only the techniques are separated into individual lessons on what to drill.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Bending at the waist and bowing are fundamental to the martial arts. It shows respect to your instructor and the people you practice with. Remember, respect is key to being a good martial artist along with humbleness.

Martial arts are a journey where the goal is not violence but the practitioners spiritual journey as a person.

By learning how to bow you have taken that first step on your journey....
    *Looks around and wonders how the **** he ended up on Martial Arts Planet...*

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    I am trying to raise the quality of of posting in Bullshido to that of MAP.

To further the discussion, once you have mastered how to bow you then need to understand about how to Kiai!

You need to understand the use of the Kiai! to let your internal energy out to stun your opponent with your spirit. A well rounded martial artist will understand the difference between the kung-fu "yip", the karate Kiai all the way to the Krav Maga combat roar.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never realized I needed to pay this much in order to secure my ability to bend at the waist
    Ah, yes, but you will be properly certified to bend at the waist.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God I used to be on that site a very long time ago... then I grew more critical and ended up here

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God I used to be on that site a very long time ago... then I grew more critical and ended up here
    There are worse things to have to admit to. A very long time ago, I believed that the Bujinkan was capable of teaching me to fight, and Masaaki Hatsumi was damn near invincible.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are worse things to have to admit to. A very long time ago, I believed that the Bujinkan was capable of teaching me to fight, and Masaaki Hatsumi was damn near invincible.
    I used to have faith in the Bujinkan too. It was my first martial art as a teenager (back in my nerdy phase, I needed a hobby to help depression). I enjoyed my time in it and it helped me a lot as a person, but I've learnt far more since my club closed and I took up Kickboxing, Judo, Karate and BJJ. It's funny as well. I see odd techniques here and there in what I do now that are similar to what I did then, but applied against resisting opponents. Makes me wonder if someone could reform the Booj into an actual fighting art, but I dont see it happening any more than a full contact aikido with striking and MMA type submissions. At least the 1st Dan I got there has senimental value, but I see it as a starting point for my martial arts.

Incidently earlier this year I went to a Booj seminar since I know people still training in it. I decided to go along and found the guys there were more anal about differentiating core techniques and henka than my club ever was (we ran it on a principle basis that say X is this, but X can be done like Y, Z etc) while this one was X is X and Y is Y and the two cannot intermix, so I found they felt very ABC about fighting with no flow. The senior grade there had grown his nails out and filed them into 4 inch claws to make his claw strikes mode deadly. Guess that says something about the level of variance in the clubs?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have faith in the Bujinkan too. It was my first martial art as a teenager (back in my nerdy phase, I needed a hobby to help depression). I enjoyed my time in it and it helped me a lot as a person, but I've learnt far more since my club closed and I took up Kickboxing, Judo, Karate and BJJ. It's funny as well. I see odd techniques here and there in what I do now that are similar to what I did then, but applied against resisting opponents. Makes me wonder if someone could reform the Booj into an actual fighting art, but I dont see it happening any more than a full contact aikido with striking and MMA type submissions. At least the 1st Dan I got there has senimental value, but I see it as a starting point for my martial arts.

Incidently earlier this year I went to a Booj seminar since I know people still training in it. I decided to go along and found the guys there were more anal about differentiating core techniques and henka than my club ever was (we ran it on a principle basis that say X is this, but X can be done like Y, Z etc) while this one was X is X and Y is Y and the two cannot intermix, so I found they felt very ABC about fighting with no flow. The senior grade there had grown his nails out and filed them into 4 inch claws to make his claw strikes mode deadly. Guess that says something about the level of variance in the clubs?
    Booj h2h is just JJJ... likely 19th century Japanese Jujutsu. You are way over thinking this stuff.

So of course quite a bit of that looks similar were familiar.

You're doing Judo that's best for you I would think.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knowing full well what you may get is toss, but amusing toss, would you consider it?

I ask this because I found a full Kuk Sool/Hapkido course way up into the friggin DAN grades that doesnt look so bad, but even if I was to fund it myself, I dont know if the notion of getting any kind of belt in such a manner would ruin my self esteem as a martial artist
    If we leave any discussions of belts out of it, there are many fine online resources for BJJ including the Marcelo Garcia online academy, the Gracie University, and many, many others.

It is handy to have a training group with an onsite credentialed instructor.

In that case, the online resources and drill partner opportunities may offer useful adjunctive practice.

The Gracie University has a curriculum designed so two people with some mats in a garage can get quite a bit of drill practice exposure to the traditional Helio Gracie curriculum.

Regarding Hapkido, I cannot say. Other than having some historical notion of where Hapkido theoretically fits as a descendant branch of Ju-Jutsu, Hapkido is not an art that I have much hands on practice.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last