Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    out of a general curiosity: would you ever do a home study course?

    Knowing full well what you may get is toss, but amusing toss, would you consider it?

    I ask this because I found a full Kuk Sool/Hapkido course way up into the friggin DAN grades that doesnt look so bad, but even if I was to fund it myself, I dont know if the notion of getting any kind of belt in such a manner would ruin my self esteem as a martial artist

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    452
    Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of martial arts, probably not. Languages sure or any hobby like making crafts or whatever.

    But as the old tibetan saying goes "IF YOU GOT A DOOR YOU GOT A GYM!"

  3. #3
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,366
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd need to find a training partner who also wants to do a hapikdo home study course.

  4. #4
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean I have done a lot of online college courses, I think my education has suffered compared to me doing in person classes.
    That is with mental course work. I couldn't imagine doing any sort of hands on stuff via correspondences and expecting a really good outcome.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    You'd need to find a training partner who also wants to do a hapikdo home study course.
    Not seeing anything on this one, though to be first the first volume of stuff ($75 on a dvd for each level) consists mostly of etiquette, bowing variations and stances with a couple of punches

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    854
    Style
    Karate
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Not seeing anything on this one, though to be first the first volume of stuff ($75 on a dvd for each level) consists mostly of etiquette, bowing variations and stances with a couple of punches
    Sounds like great value. I don't think you will go far wrong with this.

    You may want to consider some of Thomas Daw's online/home study at the MFMA. He has had some very positive reviews from a number of posters here.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Sounds like great value. I don't think you will go far wrong with this.

    You may want to consider some of Thomas Daw's online/home study at the MFMA. He has had some very positive reviews from a number of posters here.
    I never realized I needed to pay this much in order to secure my ability to bend at the waist

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    854
    Style
    Karate
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    I never realized I needed to pay this much in order to secure my ability to bend at the waist
    Bending at the waist and bowing are fundamental to the martial arts. It shows respect to your instructor and the people you practice with. Remember, respect is key to being a good martial artist along with humbleness.

    Martial arts are a journey where the goal is not violence but the practitioners spiritual journey as a person.

    By learning how to bow you have taken that first step on your journey....

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    164
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done the Gracie Combatives course, but I was already working on my Nidan in Judo at the time, had a partner or two to help and also had a mat area, just did not have a Gracie Academy near me that didn't make my skin crawl with it's prices for blue belt instruction. I also got the DVD's on the cheap.

    Trying to learn a martial art from a video, or a book, or anything other than hands on instruction is very doable, but it requires a LOT of extra work, good patient partners, and it REALLY helps if you have a solid MA background to start with. This is the case with most of my HEMA group, and we are able to successfully reproduce fighting skills from a book written hundreds of years ago in a language none of us speaks well.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Bending at the waist and bowing are fundamental to the martial arts. It shows respect to your instructor and the people you practice with. Remember, respect is key to being a good martial artist along with humbleness.

    Martial arts are a journey where the goal is not violence but the practitioners spiritual journey as a person.

    By learning how to bow you have taken that first step on your journey....

    not sure if you caught the sarcasm so felt I should double check

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in