Thread: CARDIO HATE

Style
    Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CARDIO HATE

Hello I`ve got some friends that have been boxers for many years and when they talk to me they constantly mention that it comes a point in your boxing career that you just want to focus on your handwork and don't do a lot of cardio since cardio makes you lose weight?
    Just want to know someone else opinion, Thanks

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProBoxSupplies View Post
    Hello I`ve got some friends that have been boxers for many years and when they talk to me they constantly mention that it comes a point in your boxing career that you just want to focus on your handwork and don't do a lot of cardio since cardio makes you lose weight?
    Just want to know someone else opinion, Thanks
    I am leaving this one here because it is the proper place for your "friends" to be corrected.
    Stop making threads and use the search function and READ MORE, POST LESS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, I am not a boxer, but this SOUNDS like Bullshido to me. First of all, cardio doesn't "make you lose weight", it can and does aid in weight loss as it tends to give you the most heart rate BPM as a function of time, so hard cardio, such as running or swimming at a good pace, is a very efficient form of exercise, but exercise is less than half of the weight loss equation. Diet and genetics are the rest of that equation.

Second, one thing intensive cardio DOES do is make you less tired and more resilient in a fight. You can always tell they guy that skipped his cardio during fight camp because he is the guy gassed by the second round and probably getting knocked out or choked.

Third, WTF does "focus on your handwork" even mean? Seriously, punching is a big part of boxing, but from the pro and high level amateur fighters I have hung out with, they all tell me footwork is the key to high level striking.

Fourth, I don't really have a fourth point because I don't really know much about boxing, but from what I know about fighting in general, unless you are a PROFESSIONAL fighter who is making a living at it AND winning, don't even THINK about deviating from the standard training routine that works for most fighters, which as I understand it, contains an INSANE amount of cardio.

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of cardio will tend to lean you out, depending on diet. By a lot, I mean training-to-race a lot. When I was training for marathons it was tough to over-eat and my whole body shape changed. I went from XL shirts to medium. But sufficient cardio to fight, along with the other training you do, is necessary.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Natural slow twitch guys:Nick and Nate Diaz are pretty high level endurance athletes and fantastic volume boxers, never gets tired to speak of but isn't crazy fast.

Natural mostly fast twitch guys:Tysons and Vitor Belfort are/were capable of moving their hands and feet on a different frame rate than everyone else, make huge power And tire quickly.

Most people are some where in between these two. if you run marathons you will make more slow twitch muscle and if you do sprints and Olympic lifts you will make fast twitch.
    Most people don't work out hard enough for it to matter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like any 'martial art', in boxing there are still a lot of things that are done simply because of tradition, this goes for some beliefs as well. Working hands is cardio.