Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Screwing up punches with gloves...

Just started Muay Thai - though I do have a little experience in standup striking.

Heavy bags are flipping expensive, so at home I have a stack of 150/55-17 reinforced bike tyres (bolted together and with a wooden pole support running up in the middle).

Anyway, I have no problem punching or kicking this thing full force. (I do have to wrap a thin cloth round my knuckles though or I tear them up.) I can throw jabs, straights and hooks without any misalignment of wrists (well, that's not true. In the very beginning I had to wrap my wrists because I was hitting skew, but that's long since passed).

So no problem lightly wrapped knuckles on tyre stack. Also gone against a heavy bag the same without problems (the bag feels a hell of a lot softer but moves when hit - the tyres don't except for some slight compression).

But when we wear boxing gloves, even going 50% against the bag I almost always end up twisting my wrists (the left more than the right) and spraining them. I really don't get it. Shouldn't my punch alignment be safer in the gloves? Is there something basic that I missed about using gloves? I've tried different sizes, fits and weights but same problem...

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigShaw View Post
    Just started Muay Thai - though I do have a little experience in standup striking.

Heavy bags are flipping expensive, so at home I have a stack of 150/55-17 reinforced bike tyres (bolted together and with a wooden pole support running up in the middle).

Anyway, I have no problem punching or kicking this thing full force. (I do have to wrap a thin cloth round my knuckles though or I tear them up.) I can throw jabs, straights and hooks without any misalignment of wrists (well, that's not true. In the very beginning I had to wrap my wrists because I was hitting skew, but that's long since passed).

So no problem lightly wrapped knuckles on tyre stack. Also gone against a heavy bag the same without problems (the bag feels a hell of a lot softer but moves when hit - the tyres don't except for some slight compression).

But when we wear boxing gloves, even going 50% against the bag I almost always end up twisting my wrists (the left more than the right) and spraining them. I really don't get it. Shouldn't my punch alignment be safer in the gloves? Is there something basic that I missed about using gloves? I've tried different sizes, fits and weights but same problem...
    Ask your coach how to properly wrap your hands.

... and no alignment is even more difficult in boxing gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Ask your coach how to properly wrap your hands.
    That! In the beginner's class I've only see one guy wrap his hands (and so far I can figure there's about 8-10) - everyone else just pulls on gloves and trainer has mentioned nothing so I assumed this was the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ... and no alignment is even more difficult in boxing gloves.
    Then shouldn't I practise without wraps under the gloves to correct my poor form with them on (or I suppose, eventually break my wrists...)

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you need better communication with your coach or a new school.
    Maybe both.
    I would definitely discuss all these things with your coach or instructor because there is so much strangeness going on which requires specifics and observation of what you are doing, I hesitate to give any other advice. There are thousands of ways to strike "wrong" and many are subtle things you will not be aware of.

I can't tell you any more than that honestly. Maybe someone else can give you some input.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can hit a heavy bag hard, bare knuckled without injuring yourself, you already have a skill that most martial artists don't have. And it's a skill that is valuable when it's time to punch somebody in the face in an altercation. You'll learn to wrap your hands and you'll become more comfortable in the gloves but don't lose that ability to strike with bare hands.