Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    Hey guys so I'm looking into some other schools in my area, and one that caught my interest (mainly for Judo) was this.
    (It seems I can't post links yet, so just google Harbor City Dojo judo and jujitsu. It'll be the one with HarborCityDojo in the url, not to be mistaken for HarborJudo)

It seems to check out pretty nice, they're even affiliated with the USJA, USJJF and USJJO. (United States Judo Association, United States Ju-Jitsu Federation and United States Ju- Jitsu organization) Are these trusted affiliates or are they mcdojo chains? I'll be checking the place out in person soon, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about it. Thanks a lot.
    No, David J. Ellis is as legit as it gets as a judoka and judo instructor.

Can't speak to the ju jitsu stuff, but David can do and teach some Judo...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Well, I don't know about the other things they are claiming to teach, some of the marketing on the women's self defense courses made me nervous but then again marketing usually, but the Judo instructor looks solid on the face of it. He is listed on the USA Judo site as a C-level referee which matches the claims that he has made.
    David Ellis is super-solid judoka, instructor, and referee.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    David Ellis is super-solid judoka, instructor, and referee.
    Glad to here it from someone with more first-hand experience.
    I figured as much based on my experience with other Judoka of similar rank and experience, but direct knowledge is always better.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks BKR. As I'm unsure about the Ju jitsu, nice to know the Judo is good, as that is what I was originally looking for. Going to go checkout the place tomorrow.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last post in the thread, just tried their Judo class. Exceeded expectations, absolutely amazing. I just waltzed in with my sport shorts and shirt and they just let me participate, not in the actual class of course but on the sideline with one of the instructors. learned a cool choke (don't remember the name he used) and several break falls. Anyone in the area of this place, I definitely recommend it. Hopefully their Ju Jitsu is good too.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the world of judo. If you weren't wearing a gi, he probably showed hadaka-jime, more commonly referred to as the rear naked choke.

The best piece of advice I could give to anyone who is just starting to learn judo is to have fun with it. And expect to fall/get thrown a lot!
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Page 2 of 2 First 12