Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this school a McDojo?

Hey guys so I'm looking into some other schools in my area, and one that caught my interest (mainly for Judo) was this.
    (It seems I can't post links yet, so just google Harbor City Dojo judo and jujitsu. It'll be the one with HarborCityDojo in the url, not to be mistaken for HarborJudo)

It seems to check out pretty nice, they're even affiliated with the USJA, USJJF and USJJO. (United States Judo Association, United States Ju-Jitsu Federation and United States Ju- Jitsu organization) Are these trusted affiliates or are they mcdojo chains? I'll be checking the place out in person soon, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about it. Thanks a lot.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MABS -------> YMAS

Please read the stickies and forum descriptions of the forum you plan on posting in.
    This post did not meet the posting standards for MABS.

Welcome to Bullshido and have a wonderful day.
    (seriously tho, read the stickies before starting new threads)

here is a handy link... http://www.harborcitydojo.com/

I haven't looked anything over...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    MABS -------> YMAS

Please read the stickies and forum descriptions of the forum you plan on posting in.
    This post did not meet the posting standards for MABS.
    Sorry, I don't understand. Isn't MABS for investigating/asking if a school is a mcdojo? I'm definitely missing something here.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your post is "is my school a McDojo, should I train there"?

Not "I think this place is and here is the evidence".
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that something could still qualify as a McDojo, and still be effective. There are plenty of mass-produced, McDonalds-inspired dojo-chain arts like Judo, Karate and Hapkido around, trophies in the window, Japanese / Korean / American flags on one wall and ancient weapons on the other wall, with dozens of kids running around in Skittles-colored belts as part of their "ninja courses" on pizza night. We've even had 3 BJJ schools open up in South Houston over the past few years. So, don't write it off because it doesn't look like the garage gym from Never Back Down. I mean, Judo was the original McDojo, even before the Karate, Kung Fu, Ninja, Kickboxing and MMA crazes.

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    I'd say that something could still qualify as a McDojo, and still be effective. There are plenty of mass-produced, McDonalds-inspired dojo-chain arts like Judo, Karate and Hapkido around, trophies in the window, Japanese / Korean / American flags on one wall and ancient weapons on the other wall, with dozens of kids running around in Skittles-colored belts as part of their "ninja courses" on pizza night. We've even had 3 BJJ schools open up in South Houston over the past few years. So, don't write it off because it doesn't look like the garage gym from Never Back Down. I mean, Judo was the original McDojo, even before the Karate, Kung Fu, Ninja, Kickboxing and MMA crazes.
    I don't do judo but would be interested to see how you view it as being a McDojo. It is held in fairly high regard by a number of posters here.

You also have "the booj" in your style tag. A lot of posters on this site view the booj as being a "McDojo" style. What would be your view on this?

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any style can become McDojo, once too many dojo open, or the quality-control is lost and the art becomes too estranged from the source ("crappling" BJJ knock-off schools), and there have certainly been Judo classes at the local YMCA that are not Kodokan-quality.

As for the Bujinkan, yes, it's sad to say but I'd wager less than 10 percent of the schools are of quality instruction, and most of those guys have some cross-training under their belt, realizing the limitations of our art (or any art in general). Bujinkan aren't as McDojo as Karate or Judo or one of the bigger styles, but too many guys are teaching before they're ready, and try to mimick Hatsumi's soft "Aikido-esque" movements without benefit of decades of hard training. Plus, the "too deadly to spar" and "gourge the eyes on the ground" mindset doesn't help.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    Hey guys so I'm looking into some other schools in my area, and one that caught my interest (mainly for Judo) was this.
    (It seems I can't post links yet, so just google Harbor City Dojo judo and jujitsu. It'll be the one with HarborCityDojo in the url, not to be mistaken for HarborJudo)

It seems to check out pretty nice, they're even affiliated with the USJA, USJJF and USJJO. (United States Judo Association, United States Ju-Jitsu Federation and United States Ju- Jitsu organization) Are these trusted affiliates or are they mcdojo chains? I'll be checking the place out in person soon, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about it. Thanks a lot.
    Well, I don't know about the other things they are claiming to teach, some of the marketing on the women's self defense courses made me nervous but then again marketing usually, but the Judo instructor looks solid on the face of it. He is listed on the USA Judo site as a C-level referee which matches the claims that he has made.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Any style can become McDojo, once too many dojo open, or the quality-control is lost and the art becomes too estranged from the source ("crappling" BJJ knock-off schools), and there have certainly been Judo classes at the local YMCA that are not Kodokan-quality.

As for the Bujinkan, yes, it's sad to say but I'd wager less than 10 percent of the schools are of quality instruction, and most of those guys have some cross-training under their belt, realizing the limitations of our art (or any art in general). Bujinkan aren't as McDojo as Karate or Judo or one of the bigger styles, but too many guys are teaching before they're ready, and try to mimick Hatsumi's soft "Aikido-esque" movements without benefit of decades of hard training. Plus, the "too deadly to spar" and "gourge the eyes on the ground" mindset doesn't help.
    There's no such thing as good Bujikan. It's all horrible and has ridiculous processes.

There's fantastic karate and Judo out there. The same can't be said for Ninja-ing.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last