Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

considering changing my weight program a bit

Ok so Ive posted about this before but Ive been powerlifting for a while and frankly while I love training the sport, Im starting to think id be best not going for super heavy weights anymore.

Does anyone else lift? Im finding the maximum strength sort of thing isnt doing me any favours and all im finding is Im exhausted in classes for fighting, exhausted in my daytime, Im ripping my hands to pieces with callouses and ulcers which hurts my judo and generally Im getting run down.

Tempted to back it down to 60-80% weight for more reps and volume, since my diet now doesnt support heavy mass gains

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok so Ive posted about this before but Ive been powerlifting for a while and frankly while I love training the sport, Im starting to think id be best not going for super heavy weights anymore.

Does anyone else lift? Im finding the maximum strength sort of thing isnt doing me any favours and all im finding is Im exhausted in classes for fighting, exhausted in my daytime, Im ripping my hands to pieces with callouses and ulcers which hurts my judo and generally Im getting run down.

Tempted to back it down to 60-80% weight for more reps and volume, since my diet now doesnt support heavy mass gains
    Ditto

Love lifting but managed to knacker my knees up and it impacted my ability to do other sport (karate/running/cycling) largely as you need the rest once you get to heavier weights

What has killed me is squatting I now only do it a day a week (which is a shame as its my favourite exercise). Trouble is that now being over 50 with many decades of exercise my knees are too shagged for powerlifting.

Ive gone onto a 3-5 day split (classic arms day, chest day etc) on 5 days and a combination if I do a 3 day split. Ive also stopped running for a while as again that seemed to impact my knees and I know just cycle every other day as lower impact. Im seriously considering ditching weights for a couple of months and just doing body weight.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a tricky one, I lift max every time but I lift to assist other activities so if I'm not clearly making gains or even if I drop due to giving time to other things I don't get too sad.

I say drop to 80% and see how you do. Lifting is great in general, everyone should do it but unless you're training solely for power/oly/ body building etc, dial it back a bit.
    Ne Obliviscaris

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post

Gloves ?

Why don't you try cycling your training ? For example, save the heavier lifting for off-season for Judo or whatever else it is you do, especially if you are watching your diet to keep your weight down.

Gassing out in Judo (cardio and muscle/strength endurance) will **** you quicker in randori or a match than not being at your max single rep for squats.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Gloves ?

Why don't you try cycling your training ? For example, save the heavier lifting for off-season for Judo or whatever else it is you do, especially if you are watching your diet to keep your weight down.

Gassing out in Judo (cardio and muscle/strength endurance) will **** you quicker in randori or a match than not being at your max single rep for squats.
    Gloves screw with my grip, cant hold anything for toss when I wear them sadly.

Ive decided I may back my weights down and do higher volume. I traina ll year round in MMA but Ive decided going for big strength gains isnt going to help as much as muscular endurance or developing continuous explosive force. After looking at a number of atheletes in similar situations or boxers as well, I feel how they approach rep/weight ratio may be better for me. I also wont lift on fight training days either.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm by no means an expert, but you really don't need to max out all the time to make strength gains. For instance 5/3/1 has you never lifting heavier than about 86% of your 1 rep max, and works for a lot of people better than trying to lift as heavy as possible every session.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well......ok guys
    Weight lifting is not a game for everyone......one should raise the weight for lifting step by step..... dont try to lift heavy weight at beginner level....first understand the chemistry then u can do or lift weight as u wish..

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChampions View Post
    Well......ok guys
    Weight lifting is not a game for everyone......one should raise the weight for lifting step by step..... dont try to lift heavy weight at beginner level....first understand the chemistry then u can do or lift weight as u wish..
    If you can't be bothered to spell out "you" don't expect people to take you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.