Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    I've ended up dialing the weights back this week and feel a lot better for it. Im not working on heavy 3 reps anymore and Ive incorporated running back into my workouts (we've got a beach that goes on for miles here, so Im using the sand for all its worth. Managed a 7k the otherday) and Im feeling better for it.
    Recovery time is important, as is cycling your training as RNC357 (and I've) pointed out to you in the past. More than once...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Recovery time is important, as is cycling your training as RNC357 (and I've) pointed out to you in the past. More than once...
    yes I know. I dont work out every day anymore. In fact weekends ended up being long days in work so I get 2 full days to rest up then

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd watch out for redlining at 95% for every session for sure. I've done 5/3/1, and am currently doing Cal Dietz' full body tri-phasic program. In both of these, you cycle intensity levels pretty specifically.

According to everything I've read, for strength gains, you really should be going above 70%, but don't necessarily need to wreck yourself with 95%+ too much. I used to go heavy as hell consistently, and would always end up getting injured. Now I'm sticking to the program, and have been injury free for the last year.

In addition, as an old **** myself, warm ups have become absolutely critical for both effective workouts, and injury prevention. I like'd both the 5/3/1 and Dietz' warmup. For tri-phasic, it is this:

Range of motion stuff
    5 smooth reps at 50%
    Easy jumps
    3 smooth reps at 65%
    Easy jumps
    1 test rep at 80% (lets you evaluate how you're doing that day)
    Easy jumps

I really like this warmup, and the test rep let's me see how I am really doing that day. Based on how that goes, I can slightly scale the range of volume and intensity within the scope of the program. The jumps just serve to get your nervous system fired up, and help me quite a bit in mental prep.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    I'd watch out for redlining at 95% for every session for sure. I've done 5/3/1, and am currently doing Cal Dietz' full body tri-phasic program. In both of these, you cycle intensity levels pretty specifically.

According to everything I've read, for strength gains, you really should be going above 70%, but don't necessarily need to wreck yourself with 95%+ too much. I used to go heavy as hell consistently, and would always end up getting injured. Now I'm sticking to the program, and have been injury free for the last year.

In addition, as an old **** myself, warm ups have become absolutely critical for both effective workouts, and injury prevention. I like'd both the 5/3/1 and Dietz' warmup. For tri-phasic, it is this:

Range of motion stuff
    5 smooth reps at 50%
    Easy jumps
    3 smooth reps at 65%
    Easy jumps
    1 test rep at 80% (lets you evaluate how you're doing that day)
    Easy jumps

I really like this warmup, and the test rep let's me see how I am really doing that day. Based on how that goes, I can slightly scale the range of volume and intensity within the scope of the program. The jumps just serve to get your nervous system fired up, and help me quite a bit in mental prep.
    After testing my current 1rpm's and a week off weights, Im on a new program thanks to my coach. 4 days 2 upper 2 lower, with squat, bench, deadlift, second bench. Each with different supplementary exercises and working at a 50% - 60% weight range with increased reps. Im on a new diet, having upped my food content to keep up with the demands for fuel and Im now back training.

Speaking of the martial arts side of things, Im frankly considering putting my Monday MMA/Kudo classes on a bi-weekly rotation with my Judo club. They both know I train but I compete in Judo and think that should be a priority over the MMA/Kudo side of things if that's where Im competiting. Sure theres grappling when we train, but Im going to need to do more Judo going forward.

So its looking like

K-1 monday

Bench Karate/BJJ Tuesday

Judo and Squat Wednesday

Bench Thursday

Deadlift Friday

Saturday and Sunday rest

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That seems like a pretty good split, and makes sense with your training. I would guess you'll feel pretty wrecked after Judo/Squat Wednesday, but with just bench the following day, it should work pretty well. I'm finding that to hit my core lifts at the prescribed 75-95% (variable) ranges, then some higher volume lower weight supplementary stuff is working well, and is often prescribed by coaches.

Page 2 of 2 First 12