Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last

Style
    Muay Thai/Judo (MuayJu?)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Delayed Update: Dropping BJJ

Okay, been a while since I've updated so here goes...

MONDAY: BJJ

This one was last week Monday. It started off okay. Some guys I hadn't seen before that have been part of the class for a while. It started off simple enough with very easy warm up exercises for joints and then one where we paired off and one guy lay down on his back and the other guy lay down on top of his chest with their own chest with hands behind their back. Person on bottom had to escape however they could while person on top had to remain on top without using hands. Escaping was easy but being on top was more difficult than it seemed.

After this we did a thing where one guy sat behind and wrapped legs into those of guy in front and put hands hooked through front persons arms for rear naked choke. Person in front needed to escape into a turtle and person in back needed to get the choke. When I was behind I think I only got the guy to tap out once but did give him a difficult run for his money. But... when he was behind I was in the lock in seconds almost every time.

After this the instructor showed various complicated escape techniques that he would show and explain and get us to drill for a while, then show another and get us to drill that. I just didn't get them (and it didn't help that my partner wasn't sure either...). I would see what the instructor was doing but when it came to figuring out how to execute it I was completely lost.

Finally it came to rolling. We rotated partners as time progressed. The first guy I was okay with (though still completely lost as what to do). The second guy got me in an arm-bar so quickly and with such force that I didn't have time to tap out and got injured with some fair pain for about two days. Then I was rolling with a brown belt who explained things to me but he was hell 'o a rough and to teach me that I was too open, rushed in and neck locked me which left my neck pretty sore. The last guy I rolled with was a fat guy (I really don't like saying fat but he was). He was easier on me and I managed to evade him and catch his arms or wrists often in a way he couldn't get them free - but was lost from there and he would then explain to me how to turn my catch into a pressure bar to get him to tap.

I know I probably sound whiny complaining about how rough the two guys were, but I had to skip Muay Thai the next day because my arm wasn't healed up yet - and that, mixed with the fact that I just don't seem to get the concepts of BJJ and ground fighting at all, made me decide to drop BJJ. (I did join for the Muay Thai after all.)

It was only two lessons so maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I just couldn't pick up anything at all - and it did cause me to skip out on Muay Thai.

MISSED: MUAY THAI & JUDO

The Tuesday after BJJ I decided to skip Muay Thai and let my arm fully recover instead of pushing further injury. It was fine by Thursday morning but ended up missing Judo due to a bad fight with my wife (not MA related).

TUESDAY: BOXING & MUAY THAI

Okay, so that leaves us with today. Started with boxing. Decided to take up boxing in addition to Muay Thai as otherwise I wouldn't be getting my moneys worth - and the boxing I'm doing more for the cardio than technique. We started off skipping rope and then teaming up into pairs (which was cool 'cause I teamed up with a guy I met on my first boxing lesson). One of us would work on the bag while the other would do exercises. (i.e. 100x Hooks while partner does a bridge. Then switch. 5 sets. Then 100x L/R straights while partner does squats. Then switch. 5 sets.) When switching sets I would switch stance to work in both left and right stance. Instructor didn't seem to mind. (Now I know most people are going to say choose orthodox or south paw and stick with it. To that I'm stubborn and deaf...) Then we finished off doing drills where we would: L/Cross - R/Cross - Slip Block (opponent cross) - R/Cross - L/Cross - Slip Block (opponent cross) and repeat then switch and repeat. Again, I did from both stances. Didn't find much difficulty with either and instructor came by each pair and watched for a while. All he commented on me after watching for a while was that my punches were good. Still dropping my guard but not as often (trying to make a conscious effort not to until it becomes automatic).

Then onto Muay Thai. Warm up: 100x Right kicks. 100x Left kicks. Then five minutes of front knees to bags. Then one minite of speed kicks to bag left then right side. Then thigh conditioning: Line up and class does crawling bridges on your thighs with their elbows. Then line up and class does shin kicks to your thighs: R/Outside - R/Inside - L/Inside - L/Outside. Finally paired off to do drills. First drill was side-step left jab to face followed by right shin kick to opponent thigh. Second drill was L/Jab Cross - R/Cross with side-step - L/Shin kick to liver. After the class the instructor pointed out some errors which he had been seeing most everyone doing and demonstrated corrections. It was mostly that everyone wasn't pivoting on their support leg but staying flat foot and also not raising onto the ball of your supporting foot (these I was doing correct though). The one I wasn't doing was he was explaining that when connecting with a roundhouse you want to keep your leg bent to get extra rotation and force when connecting as well as providing extra pivot through if you need it. (This I was a bit confused as while I get everything he was explaining and tried my best to correct my kicks - all the Muay Thai I've been trying to study before actually finding the gym states and shows snapping kicks with the leg extended straight...) The instructor did say that he wants to work on my left leg as my technique and balance with it was far worse than my right.

One last note - my training partners asked if I did Karate because they said my stance was too side-turned and not squared off center. Instructor didn't say anything about it though - but watching him I noticed he fell somewhere between full front facing and side-turned.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As it stands now, I've given up BJJ for the moment and decided to focus on Muay Thai and Judo with the Boxing for cardio. My thoughts on it is this: I've seen fights where guys have been intent on taking someone to the mat, but the fighter has been able to check them every time with some kind of strike be it knee to the face or shin to the leg. (And in BJJ when that guy lunge for me and caught my neck, my first thought was straight elbow to the face but didn't because it was BJJ - but surely that would have stopped him as he was moving in too quickly to avoid it?)

My other thought is that with Judo I tend to focus on counter-throwing (which Rob noticed and pointed out to me). Which my though is that in the clinch or if someone tries to take me down I can counter to evade and then break away.

Anyways, that's my rant for now. Probably not going to be the best fighter, but guess I'll be the best experimenting unorthodox idiot...

NOTE - It's late and I'm tired so please excuse the probable multitude of spelling and grammar errors as I'm far too lazy to go back and read through that mess. (Though if you've been reading my posts you're probably used to them by now...)

Style
    Muay Thai/Judo (MuayJu?)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UPDATE

Okay, don't know if anyone actually cares about these any more. Originally just meant them for feedback with the places I was starting but was then asked to keep them going... So if this actually is interesting to anyone please let me know... (though I suppose in a couple years I'll be able to go back and laugh at my progress - so they have that going for them.)

JUDO
    Was looking forward to Judo after missing a week. Ended up leaving late and rushed with my wife on the bike. We arrived about 10 minutes late and everyone was already doing drills - and my first thought: "Oh wonders, ground work..."
    I still loathe the idea of ne-waza - but these were actually really interesting. We did two different "roll-locks" (don't know what else to call them). They started with the opponent having been put in a semi-downed position (such as if they were thrown and either stopped themselves short or where in the process of getting back up. Basically you would grab around the collar with one hand while stepping over to wrap with a leg while rolling backwards - off balancing your opponent and taking them down into a lock (I don't really know how else to explain them without detailing them completely - and even then would probably get it wrong). After practising these two roll-locks we did a normal arm bar which I remembered from BJJ. However, the point of the exercise wasn't to focus on the arm bar only. Instead, the first partner would apply the arm bar and the second would roll out backwards diagonally over his shoulder to escape it. Worked pretty well but I did ask the instructor about it because we were never taught it in BJJ. From what I understood he said it would work as an escape but that your arm was more than likely to be broken before you could use it if the fight was serious. After this we did another escape where your opponent would be holding you down in a pin and you use a backward over the shoulder roll to escape and reverse the position while also gaining an arm lock. (It looked really simple to do but most of us could only manage the escape without getting the arm lock as well). Then we basically did randori as usual and I was paired with a very unfit brown belt who had come in for the night. He proved a hell of a lot harder to throw than anyone I've paired with before. I just could not unbalance him, let alone throw him.

BOXING & MUAY THAI
    My second double up boxing & Muay Thai. Boxing was standard with the normal cardio and then paring up practising punches and slips. The trainer did get me to focus on developing my punches by keeping my chin down and punching with my shoulder guarding my head (obviously with the other hand up as a guard). Don't really know how to explain the shoulder guarding the head thing, but the best way to explain is I ended up "sighting down" the inside of my punching arm once the punch was thrown.

Muay Thai was a lot more fun but also a lot harder. This time around there were only four of us so I actually ended up getting to train one-on-one with one of the fighters while the training did come around to check on my progress and instruct the fighter accordingly. He spent pretty much the entire evening working on improving my shin kicks and then when he was satisfied he moved me onto teeps for the last ten minutes or so. Finishing off by telling me to keep practising hundreds of kicks a day.

I did notice that my main problem with the Muay Thai that is hindering me is my suppleness - so need to work on a plan to fix that. (Was pulling my hams a lot and my movement was very restricted when it came to following his motions).

That's pretty much it. The fighter and trainer did push me hard and by the end of the evening I couldn't even tap my shins on the bag (which is probably why the moved me to teeps...)

On a side, when bathing this morning I saw my shins and was like "Holy Crap!" - though they've already started fading back to normal. Was some interesting shock value.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigShaw View Post
    On a side, when bathing this morning I saw my shins and was like "Holy Crap!" - though they've already started fading back to normal. Was some interesting shock value.
    I remember the first time I sparred, about six weeks after I started training Muay Thai, I threw a leg kick, my mate blocked it with his shin and we both staggered back swearing. When I got home I had a bruise the size of a chicken egg

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigShaw View Post
    Okay, don't know if anyone actually cares about these any more. Originally just meant them for feedback with the places I was starting but was then asked to keep them going... So if this actually is interesting to anyone please let me know... (though I suppose in a couple years I'll be able to go back and laugh at my progress - so they have that going for them.)
    If you support the site, you get access to protected fora, one of which includes a training log session, you may want to consider it, since that's more or less what you've started here.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    If you support the site, you get access to protected fora, one of which includes a training log session, you may want to consider it, since that's more or less what you've started here.
    He means if you support the site by sending Phrost-Matrix cash.

You don't HAVE to support the site with money.

In fact, it's probably better that you don't. I don't recall anybody who ever glowed about the extra access a supporting membership gave them.

Don't donate JUST to get access to more crap. Donate because you care.

The whole idea of requiring money for access to "protected fora" is stupid, anyway. What a racket..paywalling.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, right, one of the advantages of the protected fora is that the riff raff generally can't be bothered to pony up, so the conversations are better.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, right, one of the advantages of the protected fora is that the riff raff generally can't be bothered to pony up, so the conversations are better.
    +BDSM

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post

That was an up arrow ... I am drunk.

And besides a down arrow would be kinda fitting considering the lack of supporting membership from the poster ... so ... *shrugs*
    it should get an up arrow for irony in YMAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai/Judo (MuayJu?)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I remember the first time I sparred, about six weeks after I started training Muay Thai, I threw a leg kick, my mate blocked it with his shin and we both staggered back swearing. When I got home I had a bruise the size of a chicken egg
    Chicken egg?? Try 5cm wide by 12cm long (though to be fair, one leg was only about 4cm wide and 10cm long...) Think I finally found a training bag in the gym harder than my tyre rack.

Looked over the donating costs. I earn peanuts so a monthly membership is definitely out. Think I could do the yearly support provided I get the budget first. So will probably do that in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    My main reason to donate would mostly be two: (1) As appreciation for the site and the guys who have helped me with pointers so far (though most of them seem to have given up caring a hoot...) and, (2) If posting a training log requires being a supporting member, even if hungryjoe did ask me to keep up the logs, I still don't feel 100% comfortable with posting them while not being a member (though being a member I guess they would get their own special place instead of YMAS?). So I have actually been thinking of supporting.

(Also, wouldn't I be able to ad an avatar and sig if I support?)

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    +BDSM
    THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE ME WANT TO SUPPORT HOW?!? (At least we can tell who likes BJJ...)

In the meantime though, MODS: I don't know whether it's okay if I keep updating here and then move it over when I'm able to support? (I was just keeping the log at the request of someone else - but do kind of enjoy it I guess...) - otherwise in the meantime I can keep it simple with just the odd question? I haven't been banned or threaten so I guess I'm okay?
    Last edited by CraigShaw; 6/09/2017 1:16am at .

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Craig,

No pressure for supporting membership.

You post what you want. This is not MAP.

Good luck and keep doing. Whatever is better than nothing and you're making headway. Rock on dude with yourself and Bullshido be damned.

Aside- good luck keeping the wife in flow.

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last