Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Style
    BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Juan Pablo Garcia - Black Belt

    I was looking into joining a Jiu Jitsu School in the Corona, California area, when i ran into a school called Pacific Top Team. I went to try one of the classes and i met a black belt named Juan Pablo Garcia, the owner supposedly. When i first met him something didn't sit right with me about him, after my free session, they tried to pressure me to sign up and telling me that i can become a world champion. I was like i'm too old to become a world champion! LOL Well, i just told them i would think about it. i started to do my research on Juan Pablo Garcia and asking some people might of heard of him and the things i heard did not sit well with me. Long story short, this guy basically had a group of students walk out on him due to the fact that he was having an affair with someone's wife who was attending the school also. He supposedly surpassed everyone else in promotions who started at the same time as this lady. She was basically promoted to purple belt before everyone, he gave her the 4th stripe on her blue and the following week her purple. This guy is basically running a cult over there, he has everyone fooled that they will be the best in Jiu Jitsu and giving false hopes to get them to sign a contract. Has anyone else heard of this guy?

  2. #2
    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Hanniballistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,193
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ratemybjjinstructor.com/i...ctor_id=001168

    The "drama" seems form one post on this page....there is little elsewhere

    Won't be the first time a teacher had sex with one of their gym members and won;t be the last - he seems to have a reasonable reputation as a teacher and practitioner otherwise

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    530
    Style
    Judo
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Juan Pablo Garcia appears to be the rank he claims, in the system he is teaching.
    http://www.graciemag.com/en/2014/05/...los-gracie-jr/

    Giving people inflated expectations of their abilities and potential, and a high pressure sales pitch to sign a long term contract may be overselling, but it isn't really fraud.

    I personally don't think that any teacher should allow themselves any involvement with a student under any circumstance, but if it involves freely consenting adults, that is largely a matter of personal morals and values. Assuming this is true of Juan Pablo, then others are free to conduct themselves as they feel appropriate, as did the students who left him, and you, who chose not to involve yourself with him.

    If there is any real substance to the claim his is running anything akin to a cult, that may be investigation worthy, but it would need to be supported with more than just instilling individuals within a group with an inflated sense of self.

    An awarded ranking that could possibly not have been fully earned would really need to be substantiated with empirical evidence that the rank was not legitimately earned. That alone would be hard to substantiate, and even then would stand as an isolated incident, and hardly indicative that he was guilty of selling or otherwise awarding unearned belts. (I assume that is what you are alluding to).

    It sounds like, at most, Juan Pablo Garcia would be guilty of the crime of "maybe not being a really great human being".

  4. #4
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,850
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Juan Pablo Garcia appears to be the rank he claims, in the system he is teaching.
    http://www.graciemag.com/en/2014/05/...los-gracie-jr/

    ...

    It sounds like, at most, Juan Pablo Garcia would be guilty of the crime of "maybe not being a really great human being".
    There are plenty of people out there who qualify as "maybe not being a really great human being" and many of them are black belts in one art or another. I personally don't want to be a champion or compete with my instructor's love interests for attention in class or promotion. So I personally would not go there because it in no way fits my martial arts goal.

    Depending on how his students rank and compete, I might choose his school if the data lines up with his claims of making champions, if that was my goal.

    Speaking of which does anyone know how his students actually perform and at what level?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    530
    Style
    Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    There are plenty of people out there who qualify as "maybe not being a really great human being" and many of them are black belts in one art or another. I personally don't want to be a champion or compete with my instructor's love interests for attention in class or promotion. So I personally would not go there because it in no way fits my martial arts goal.

    Depending on how his students rank and compete, I might choose his school if the data lines up with his claims of making champions, if that was my goal.
    Thanks for giving a better example of what I was trying to say. If someone is a competent instructor, and sucks at being human (which may or may not be the case with the subject of the OP-i don't know him, and will likely never meet him or anyone associated with him, so his personal life isn't even of enough interest to me that I care to entertain the question), then others are free to decide, for whatever personal reasons they have, whether or not that matters to them.

    Speaking of which does anyone know how his students actually perform and at what level?
    I did a little searching through the website and Facebook pages, as well as a brief search engine effort, and didn't come up with much. My efforts were limited to say the least, and I wouldn't really know how to find out, so my lack of results don't necessarily mean anything. I do admit, my curiosity is piqued.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I did more research on it and spoke to someone that i won't name that is very close to the situation. Basically it's true that he was having an affair with one of his students wife. He ended up kicking out the husband supposedly cause he was having issues with his wife.

  7. #7
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well last time I checked fucking someone else wife isn't illegal.
    Heck its not even always immoral.
    I generally don't judge people for their romantic entanglements if everyone is an adult.
    This is NOT a MABS worthy thing at all.

    Truth of the matter is your in Corona CA/Southern CA

    This isn't the only little podunk BJJ place to train at.

    Gracie Barra place
    10th Planet place.
    No Borders BJJ

    You have plenty of other alternatives to go to that are more or less right on top of each other.

    I think that all you are doing is trying to stir up some drama where the public doesn't need to be involved.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  8. #8
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW to hammer home the concept of how ridiculously easy it is to find BJJ in SoCal to all of you that are else ware.
    Corona is a **** hole that smells like cow ****.
    Its a 150k city in fucking riverside.
    The place fucking sucks.
    Now seriously go and google Corona CA & BJJ you will still see a ridiculous amount of decent options.
    Just keep zooming out slowly.
    You will be like no fucking way another place!
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    530
    Style
    Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopezbjj View Post
    So I did more research on it and spoke to someone that i won't name that is very close to the situation. Basically it's true that he was having an affair with one of his students wife. He ended up kicking out the husband supposedly cause he was having issues with his wife.
    Please understand, this forum does not exist to concern itself with matters of family or marital law. This forum is dedicated to serious investigation and exposure of fraudulent and/or dangerous business practices conducted under the banner of "martial arts".

    If Juan Pablo Garcia holds valid and verifiable ranking in the style he is claiming he teaches, is not blatantly robbing people of money by failing to provide proper return on the service for which students are paying, and the training environment he provides poses no danger to the students, there is most likely nothing that is going to be considered worthy of attention here at MABS.

    For further consideration, speaking to an anonymous "someone" hardly constitutes research or evidence.

  10. #10
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,850
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Please understand, this forum does not exist to concern itself with matters of family or marital law. This forum is dedicated to serious investigation and exposure of fraudulent and/or dangerous business practices conducted under the banner of "martial arts".

    If Juan Pablo Garcia holds valid and verifiable ranking in the style he is claiming he teaches, is not blatantly robbing people of money by failing to provide proper return on the service for which students are paying, and the training environment he provides poses no danger to the students, there is most likely nothing that is going to be considered worthy of attention here at MABS.

    For further consideration, speaking to an anonymous "someone" hardly constitutes research or evidence.
    I don't know... If by some miracle someone could actually prove adultery and the dismissal of the husband it would be note worthy... to some anyway... but yeah as is, it is just noise and hearsay.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in