Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 6:05am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BFM, why not go to Master Leonard's school and see what he is about? If you are ever this far south, I can take you to meet Master Reid and do a class or two down here.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    BFM, why not go to Master Leonard's school and see what he is about? If you are ever this far south, I can take you to meet Master Reid and do a class or two down here.
    I will take you up on that one day .

Thanks Locu5 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 7:17pm

Style: Kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
    A simple recap of sections of the above.

Summing up the excuses given for why they use the word 'do' in this thread. 2 very different reasons have been given:

1. An old grandmaster tried to hide a cma from the authorities by giving it a sort of jma name.

2. A guy trying to sell martial arts to Americans used "Do" in the name to make it more palatable.
    I have heard that Grandmaster Ei's school was simply labeled "Martial Arts School" or something equally generic, and that the shaolin-Do was a Kentucky thing. I have heard the explanation behind the gi and the Japanese influences being linked to Grandmaster Ei's "hiding" that he was teaching Chinese Martial arts, but it was also stated that it was more of a lip service situation where he needed to give the local officials some sort of reason to let his school remain open, likely in connection with some sort of "fee" (aka bribe) as well .

A interesting bit I heard recently is that Ei never refereed to himself as a Grandmaster, and instead simply as a Master. The Grandmaster Title being added by others later to distinguish his level of skill from other masters (of presumably less or inferior arts - note: not saying which is inferior myself just stating the presumed "logic") out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 7:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan View Post
    They also teach the Naginata. Now how that is Chinese I do not know.
    Naginata as you are aware is Japanese, however the Kwan Tao is Chinese. While you may see some students using a Naginata for practice the forms they are learning are supposed to be for the Kwan Tao.

As both weapons are in some basic manners similar (both being a big knife on a pole) using one or the other is not viewed as a critical thing initially though often frowned upon for testing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 11:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude seriously 2005.

Also, you are adding stuff hotly debated and attacked in other threads. Please don't start resurrecting a ton of these threads it will get ugly,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Dude seriously 2005.

Also, you are adding stuff hotly debated and attacked in other threads. Please don't start resurrecting a ton of these threads it will get ugly,
    Fair enough. I was actually hoping there might be more actual info about lineage that might have been uncovered by now, but in re-reading the thread saw what I figured would be a couple simple things I could add info to in order for it to be a more informed discussion. I unfortunately neglected to see the date on the latest post being that far back.

My apologies for raising the dead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 2:18am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram View Post
    Plus the word "do" did not come into play in the Chinese format, it is a Japanese term issued to arts which were being comprised as combative sports. Kenjitsu = Kendo Jujitsu = Judo, etc. So why does Shaolin have Shaolin do?
    Do is the Japanese way of saying it, Dao is the chinese way...

In the west, do is used due to karate's popularity

Say Karate-Do in Chinese have it is Kong Sou (Empty Hand) Dao (Way)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2009 7:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 5 forms combat, san shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan View Post
    They also teach the Naginata. Now how that is Chinese I do not know.

Funny thing that, in my art (southern shaolin five forms) our Dai Si brought the katana saying something like "the japs have the greatest of swords, so we must learn it~ " and he's one of those old men that really despise japs (chasing his family out of china and sought refuge in vietnam) xD But naginata i don't know why they'd implement, its not that its leik special, china has the kwan dao and regular spear wich works just fine
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526