One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin Do History / Lineage

First, I have not had any direct contact with this school, and I am only familiar with it from reading school websites. Not the best source, so I have questions. I hope we can have some answers here.

It is my understanding that "Shaolin Do" is comprised of fukien shaolin material.

I have some of this training, which is basically Choy Li Fut. I have viewed many forms online from various Shaolin Do sites and nothing is familiar to me.

So what am I missing here?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bullshit?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Death. Thats how it ends

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This quote is from http://www.ussd.com/lineagebegin.asp.

Since the creation of the Fukien temple there have been many instances of Shaolin temples being burned or destroyed and recreated. Throughout this process new styles have been created, including Tai Chi, Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar and Praying Mantis.

Says it was created as a new style along with the rest of those that are listed so odds are it's possible SD wont resemble what you learned in Choy Li Fut.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The link doesn't work.

So what you are saying is that Shaolin Do is the equivalent to all those styles???

You have got to be shitting me!
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 4:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry take the period of the end of the link. My bad. No I am saying that the shaolin-do style was spawned just like all these other styles where spawned off the shaolin temple back in the day.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 4:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by VoidComeAgain
    Sorry take the period of the end of the link. My bad. No I am saying that the shaolin-do style was spawned just like all these other styles where spawned off the shaolin temple back in the day.
    That is very hard to believe. Why doesn't the article mention shaolin do?

For the most part the article page you posted seems generally accurate, though many things in CMA history is up to dispute.

this part:

In the 18th century the original Shaolin temple was burned down. Legend has it that five monks escaped and went on to establish the Shaolin temple in Fukien Province. The temple at Fukien is the birthplace of the five Shaolin animal styles, based on the movements of the Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Leopard and Snake.
    is bullshit.

The temple already existed and they were purported to be going there.

5 animal originated from the great consolidation of Li, Yuan and Fung. Well before the destruction of the northern temple.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus the word "do" did not come into play in the Chinese format, it is a Japanese term issued to arts which were being comprised as combative sports. Kenjitsu = Kendo Jujitsu = Judo, etc. So why does Shaolin have Shaolin do?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    Plus the word "do" did not come into play in the Chinese format, it is a Japanese term issued to arts which were being comprised as combative sports. Kenjitsu = Kendo Jujitsu = Judo, etc. So why does Shaolin have Shaolin do?

Laugh this dead horse has been beaten many times accross many boards. I found out that in the late 60's early 70's in Kentucky where the first school opened Kung Fu was unheard of so in order to get the school off the ground it was given a name the average person could relate to "Shaolin-Do" seeing as there were a ton of "Do" schools around since japanese style was prevelent at the time. This move basically got people through the door to see what style is actually being taught.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by VoidComeAgain
    I found out that in the late 60's early 70's in Kentucky where the first school opened Kung Fu was unheard of so in order to get the school off the ground it was given a name the average person could relate to "Shaolin-Do" seeing as there were a ton of "Do" schools around since japanese style was prevelent at the time. This move basically got people through the door to see what style is actually being taught.
    I guess it is a Kentucky thing, since Bruce Lee's popularity as well as the chop socky kung fu flicks, compounded with David Carridine's Kung fu series all happened between 1970-1972 which gave ample time for kung fu to be a house hold name. However, let's forego that. Why not change the name back to the system was supposedly based off of once Kung fu was a popular art in America? Why keep the karate gis instead of chinese uniforms or t-shirts?

Also, what system of Kung fu was it to be a branch of? What is the lineage? How do you trace it back to the Shaolin? How did it escape the integration into wushu like so many other styles of kung fu? Do you have a picture of the Chinese name for the system?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 11:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    I guess it is a Kentucky thing, since Bruce Lee's popularity as well as the chop socky kung fu flicks, compounded with David Carridine's Kung fu series all happened between 1970-1972 which gave ample time for kung fu to be a house hold name. However, let's forego that. Why not change the name back to the system was supposedly based off of once Kung fu was a popular art in America? Why keep the karate gis instead of chinese uniforms or t-shirts?

Also, what system of Kung fu was it to be a branch of? What is the lineage? How do you trace it back to the Shaolin? How did it escape the integration into wushu like so many other styles of kung fu? Do you have a picture of the Chinese name for the system?
    Sorry most of that is gonna take more study on my part to be able to answer. As for the gi's the standard kungfu uniform is stereo typical to every kungfu movie we have ever seen. Most kungfu system from back then tend to wear robes that resemble gi's. And just for practicalities sake most kung fu outfits today arent really durable usually being made of silk or a light cotton blend. I mean who really wants to sweat and train in their best pajamas? Also what makes a style? Is it the name or what they wear? Or is it really the art they teach?
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.
Page 1 of 26 1 234511 ... LastLast