Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I encourage all BJJ students to cross train in other grappling, striking, firearms, &

I encourage all BJJ students to cross train in other grappling, striking, firearms, & other weapon arts.

Learn wrestling, learn Judo, learn Sambo, learn catch wrestling, learn boxing, learn thai boxing (if you can take it), learn the Savate point of view, for damn sure learn firearms which are the core of modern martial arts, and spend at least a little time with arts like fencing, Kali, Kendo, Combat de canne, and Dog Brothers.

If you are a black belt in BJJ, and you have no exposure to other areas of martial combat, then you may not realize what you are missing.

In the movie Rocky, "Mick" has "Rocky" chase a chicken. A useful drill that does not look like boxing, but may have something useful hidden within it for boxing.
    Similarly, nothing teaches distance management (which is useful for the clinch) like hand to hand weapon arts.
    And firearms are a very useful self-defense area to practice...

You do not not need to be an expert in all areas. As we know from BJJ, being expert in a few areas, and having a good grasp of the basics is a common approach, that often shows good results.

But, train a little with the best teachers you can in all areas.

If you became good enough for a black belt in BJJ, then you have a fine foundation in a very useful area.

But, don't miss an opportunity to learn from the good teachers that may come in your room to learn BJJ, who may themselves be experts in the other areas.

I remain a white belt for life, and I hope you do too.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 4/23/2017 6:01pm at .

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I encourage all BJJ students to cross train in other grappling, striking, firearms, & other weapon arts.

Learn wrestling, learn Judo, learn Sambo, learn catch wrestling, learn boxing, learn thai boxing (if you can take it), learn the Savate point of view, for damn sure learn firearms which are the core of modern martial arts, and spend at least a little time with arts like fencing, Kali, Kendo, Combat de canne, and Dog Brothers.

If you are a black belt in BJJ, and you have no exposure to other areas of martial combat, then you may not realize what you are missing.

In the movie Rocky, "Mick" has "Rocky" chase a chicken. A useful drill that does not look like boxing, but may have something useful hidden within it for boxing.
    Similarly, nothing teaches distance management (which is useful for the clinch) like hand to hand weapon arts.
    And firearms are a very useful self-defense area to practice...

You do not not need to be an expert in all areas. As we know from BJJ, being expert in a few areas, and having a good grasp of the basics is a common approach, that often shows good results.

But, train a little with the best teachers you can in all areas.

If you became good enough for a black belt in BJJ, then you have a fine foundation in a very useful area.

But, don't miss an opportunity to learn from the good teachers that may come in your room to learn BJJ, who may themselves be experts in the other areas.

I remain a white belt for life, and I hope you do too.
    This is exceptionally good advice. WF is wise.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some BJJ schools work some rudimentary takedowns and distance closing skills.

Those skills are true to the promise of BJJ: You will be able to defeat a bigger stronger meaner opponent.

However, they won't work if that person has training.

Your BJJ school may have other classes where you have an experienced striker or wrestler. That person should have years of specialized training in things like boxing and or MT. Boxing in a boxing camp with competitive boxers. You want your training in Wrestling to be from someone who coaches competitive wrestlers.

The question is, what about your BJJ training? You have been training in BJJ 3 times a week, 12 months of the year for 2 years. You even did some tournies. You are a solid Blue.

What you want to do is train your BJJ once a week to maintain your skill set. You want to train at least 2-3 times a week in your new M Art for a full 12 months. Lets say you do so in MT or boxing. You now have a solid base of skill sets. Switch to wrestling or Judo for a year, rinse repeat.

That is how you become well rounded.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by preschol View Post

Those skills are true to the promise of BJJ: You will be able to defeat a bigger stronger meaner opponent.

However, they won't work if that person has training.

Your BJJ school may have other classes where you have an experienced striker or wrestler. That person should have years of specialized training in things like boxing and or MT. Boxing in a boxing camp with competitive boxers. You want your training in Wrestling to be from someone who coaches competitive wrestlers.

The question is, what about your BJJ training? You have been training in BJJ 3 times a week, 12 months of the year for 2 years. You even did some tournies. You are a solid Blue.

What you want to do is train your BJJ once a week to maintain your skill set. You want to train at least 2-3 times a week in your new M Art for a full 12 months. Lets say you do so in MT or boxing. You now have a solid base of skill sets. Switch to wrestling or Judo for a year, rinse repeat.

That is how you become well rounded.
    This is an awesome way to suck at everything.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    news flash, thats not enough to be a blue belt anymore let alone a "solid" blue belt.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    So Combat Sambo then? Good advice all around

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In research terminology (which I think you've established yourself as horrible at, so sorry about that), this is called a "vague count". By using such ambiguous wording, you're trying to make an argument that MOST BJJ schools don't work on takedowns, distance, etc.

That's bullshit. I know that not because I do BJJ, but because all almost all the BJJ people on this board would say: "that's bullshit". Mr. Ray just said it. I think it's more fair (back me up somebody) to say that the better BJJ schools will provide more opportunities for well-rounded training depending on what you want to do (MMA, competition BJJ, etc).

Bad for "well rounded" is making up your own ideas of what ideal training should look/be/feel like, short of being an expert trainer yourself in all of the above.

You're not an expert trainer in anything...right?
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 4/24/2017 3:57pm at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    In research terminology (which I think you've established yourself as horrible at, so sorry about that), this is called a "vague count". By using such ambiguous wording, you're trying to make an argument that MOST BJJ schools don't work on takedowns, distance, etc.

That's bullshit. I know that not because I do BJJ, but because all almost all the BJJ people on this board would say: "that's bullshit". Mr. Ray just said it. I think it's more fair (back me up somebody) to say that the better BJJ schools will provide more opportunities for well-rounded training depending on what you want to do (MMA, competition BJJ, etc).

Bad for "well rounded" is making up your own ideas of what ideal training should look/be/feel like, short of being an expert trainer yourself in all of the above.

You're not an expert trainer in anything...right?
    This is in fact correct.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    So Combat Sambo then? Good advice all around
    He didn't say do it in fruity shorts, so it's not sambo.
    :-p

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mullet Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    He didn't say do it in fruity shorts, so it's not sambo.
    :-p
    It's business up top, party down below.
    I usually wear pants when we do the non-competitive Combat Sambo material... Usually

Page 1 of 2 12 Last