Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Streetfighting is not worth of it - if you go to the Street you die

If you start fighting thgere...well I dont even want to know what happens

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Most of the first generation of modern Bartitsu (and other HEMA) revivalists had serious backgrounds in a wide range of MAs and combat sports.
    Which is why I <3 WMA ... including Bartitsu. Some of the guys involved are taking it seriously and have good experiences to draw from when taking the hypotheticals and illustrations and descriptions to actually "smashing an ankle with a walking cane". They know or will try to find out (in a somewhat safe way) if it is the fight ender, as some silly ass people claim.
    ... and there are plenty of silly ass people involved with WMA and all it's ilk. So if you (OP) stumble upon some bullshit know in your heart it isn't all terrible. I have also been seeing Aikido guys muscling in on the Bartitsu scene ... so heads up on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Which is why I <3 WMA ... including Bartitsu. Some of the guys involved are taking it seriously and have good experiences to draw from when taking the hypotheticals and illustrations and descriptions to actually "smashing an ankle with a walking cane". They know or will try to find out (in a somewhat safe way) if it is the fight ender, as some silly ass people claim.
    ... and there are plenty of silly ass people involved with WMA and all it's ilk. So if you (OP) stumble upon some bullshit know in your heart it isn't all terrible. I have also been seeing Aikido guys muscling in on the Bartitsu scene ... so heads up on that.
    Really? I keep my ear to the ground and I haven't noticed any Aiki-folk.

But yeah, the current proportions are about 1/3 ironic hipster silliness at steampunk conventions, 1/3 McDojo-style mediocrity and 1/3 serious practitioners. The Sherlock Holmes movies created a geek-shiny pop culture bandwagon out of what had previously been a fringe-of-the-fringe MA revivalist activity and that noise is only recently beginning to abate.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

But yeah, the current proportions are about 1/3 ironic hipster silliness at steampunk conventions, 1/3 McDojo-style mediocrity and 1/3 serious practitioners. The Sherlock Holmes movies created a geek-shiny pop culture bandwagon out of what had previously been a fringe-of-the-fringe MA revivalist activity and that noise is only recently beginning to abate.
    I thought that would perk your interest, I will try and dig up the link to the dudes page. He was definitely part of where those first two thirds overlap in a Venn Diagram.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    jiu jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, all great info. Thanks!

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested, I recommend the Bartutsu Wikipedia page for a good, accurate overview and the Bartitsu Society website for all the nitty-gritty.

Style
    Barre Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I thought that would perk your interest, I will try and dig up the link to the dudes page. He was definitely part of where those first two thirds overlap in a Venn Diagram.
    Do you mean this guy?

Who also hangs out with this guy:

These are a bit old so perhaps he's moved on.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bartitsu seems likely to encourage you to walk with a cane that you twirl and air-sword, wear silly hats and cloaks, and speak in antiquated words. All of those things seem to make you more likely to be a target of street violence than if you did nothing. Not that I'm not guilty of some of the above.

Page 2 of 2 First 12