Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,197
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time zones, ************, do you speak it?
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    715
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Time zones, ************, do you speak it?
    Whenever I tell my wife about the flat earth folks she just stares at me blankly and says, "But... But... Timezones. I have a device in my pocket that will allow me to call anywhere in the world. All I have to do is pick it up, dial someone on the other side of the world and ask, 'What time is it there?', to which they will answer, 'It is the middle of the night why are you calling me?'"

    It really should be just that simple.

  3. #53
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    13,524
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I think that makes Eddie Bravo more dangerous. You have to take David Wolfe completely on faith. Whereas Eddie Bravo is an authority in at least one area of physical culture and that almost invariably leads to him being seen as some sort of authority on some of these other things. That is point that Joe Rogan is arguing with him when he is telling Eddie Bravo that he can't just say this sort of stuff because he "thinks" or "feels", because people will take him seriously. Eddie Bravo promotes CBD oil for a cancer treatment and people will take that seriously.
    Narcissism, it's a real thing...and it's not uncommon, to say the least.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

  4. #54
    Pship Destroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Imperial Security Complex
    Posts
    1,942
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was checking out this awesome bathymetric map of the Earth and started wondering; forgive me. Carl Sagan and Bill Nye have me pouring over reductio ad absurdum (argument to absurdity), also known as Aristotle's "reduction to the impossible". This form of logic is useful for attacking seemingly complex theories with reduction to obviously silly assumptions that disprove the conjecture.

    If Flat Earthers were correct, then there is another side to this map. Instead of traveling straight from eastern Russian into Alaska (which we know happens because there are Russian bombers doing flybys today), there should be a whole set of other continents and waters on the flip side of "Flat Earth". Even if there's no water there and it's entirely barren rock, their theory would imply that we've only mapped half the Earth.

    But, that's absurd given how this bathmetry is distorted in order to fit the spheroidal Earth on a flat, 2D surface. By simply building a 2D model of the Earth...we literally eliminate any possibility of any additional unmapped surface. It's easier to reverse this process and take the 2D map and project it onto a 3D sphere of the hypothetical Earth (geoid).



    Carl Sagan did have quite a lot to say about argument to absurdity (which can be used to disprove both Flat Earthers as well as prove the Inverse Square Law). Arguing to absurdity (like Bill Nye also advised) is a pretty effective way to pounce on Flat Earthers ("find an edge!". It may not help convince THEM, because I think they tend to be the type of people are either mentally incapable, or willfully resistant to scientific inquiry. They just jump to "it's fake". But it helps make the ridiculousness stand out like the hot mess it is.

    There comes in again the whole "Fake Moon Landing" phenomenon....by dismissing the Greek geometry and German astrophysics that ultimately led to the whole space race...even crazier things like fake Moon landings and space debris = Aliens become imaginable. Imagination is incredibly important to science, it also has its checks and balances in the methods. That's why we gather data for experimentation based on hypothesis, to build stronger theoretical frameworks. Humans could NEVER have left the Earth and started exploring space IF we continued to believe it was flat. Today we have millions of pictures and maps of the spheroid Earth ONLY because we correctly induced its true size and movement centuries ago, first with math, then with experimental data, and finally laws that accurately predicted things.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 4/24/2017 1:29pm at .

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in