Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dr Bill lays down some good stuff for https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/when-a...-at-open-mats/

Good job Dr Bill, good job.
    It seems to me that the San Diego BJJ community is pretty good about allowing people to go to other peoples open mats. There certainly seems to be a "community" at that. I have had teachers that when they can't open there school for x reason or another have us go to another school for the class. I guess this is not a common thing though
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ, Weeb Kune Do
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Orange County is pretty good about open mat, too. I'm actually part of a Facebook group dedicated to letting BJJ people all over OC sharing when and where their open mat times are. Some of the more competitive students at the gym I train at often go to other gyms' open mats just so they can try to roll with as many different kinds of people as they can and learn new things along the way.

Personally, I don't get out there and do much open mat in other gyms, but that's because we're open to visitors and I'm often bringing friends from other gyms to my open mat.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The comments on that article at like 80% disappointing. I love training at other gyms while I'm traveling, or if my school doesn't have a class right then.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know how it is with BJJ, but my Muay Thai instructor has recently been encouraging me to go to the monthly open sparring sessions at a local MMA gym. Funnily enough, he's someone who tends to get annoyed about other camps stealing his fighters

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The no cross training mentality is alive and well. In my opinion, some associations are worse than others. I know of one where the head honcho saw a picture of someone from his association on FB and started giving him **** for attending.

Mind you this seminar was with a world class level grappler.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    The no cross training mentality is alive and well. In my opinion, some associations are worse than others. I know of one where the head honcho saw a picture of someone from his association on FB and started giving him **** for attending.

Mind you this seminar was with a world class level grappler.
    Ridiculous! Especially a seminar, everyone should try and make a seminar with the world class guys.

I understand the impulse, but restricting your students isn't how you retain them. If they're doing a seminar with a big star, you gotta keep in mind that they can't switch over and expect to receive the one on one attention you should be giving. If it's an open mat, just have faith in the superiority of your product and your gym's atmosphere.

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, but that's not how a lot of people, especially the more self-described "old school" ones see it.

This was video was making the rounds not too long ago and lots of people were just like yeah, family, loyalty, martial art, sport jj is garbage, etc.

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/rickso...bjj-academies/

Nowhere in this type of discussion is it ever really entertained that maybe it could be about not wanting to lose the money from a student leaving or, gasp, another gym being a better fit.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    The comments on that article at like 80% disappointing. I love training at other gyms while I'm traveling, or if my school doesn't have a class right then.
    I'm in complete agreement. The idea of someone I'm paying for a service forbidding me from spending my own time and money as I see fit is beyond absurd. This is nothing but them trying to protect their bottom line under the disguise of loyalty.