Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Some Aikido people use an open handed Shomenate to the face instead of the choppy-chop.
    Surprisingly, the palm strike/push Shomenate to the face is a surprisingly useful thing to do in standing or ground grappling environments.
    I say this because a BJJ black belt / ex-college wrestler friend of mine and I played with it, and really annoyed the hell out of each other with it in a live drilling/rolling fashion for experimental fun.
    You can use it as an off balancing push, a spinal disalignment grappling maneuver, or even a Bas Rutten style open palm strike.
    Plus when you push into people's noses, their eyes water, when you push into their eyes they blink, and even just turning their face can be very annoying.
    Of course, doing anything in a predictable and uni-dimensional fashion is a recipe to get hit with strong exploitive counter offense.
    But anyway, the two main points are:
    (1) not every Aikido group is chi based, some of them have some fun roughness to them and also cross train heavily in Judo, and
    (2) Some of the Aikido techniques actually seem useful in their right context...if you can get them, and if you practice them, and if you have an expert level in some more "hard" grappling style like BJJ, Wrestling, Judo, or Sambo.
    I think you and I have had a similar conversation before in the context to Tomiki Aikido's Toshu Randori. You can use a shomen ate with a sweep or get wrist control for a takedown to nice effect. And I think we both agreed that Toshu randori looked kind of fun and could impart some useful skills...

But it also doesn't allow gi grips, body locks, or standard wrestling grips. So while I'd say there's still some value there I'd still put the skill set imparted by that kind of training as low percentage in a less restrictive environment.

Not to say they don't have some cool exchanges, but it's definitely not bread and butter stuff.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used a standing wristlock while rolling before. I learned them as part of the "self defense" drills in TKD. At worst, it breaks their grip on my gi. At best, I once forced someone to berimbolo with it.

All except that one time, it's been some form of grip breaking tool for me and there's already good grip breaking techniques built into BJJ. Anyone who's smart enough to see what I'm doing has pulled their hand back as soon as I break their grip. Everyone else has pulled back when they started to feel some pressure.

That said, I've never cranked a wristlock super fast while rolling and I always do the really wide ones that are easy to roll out of or breakfall out of because I'm a white belt and I feel like I should be focusing on other BJJ fundamentals instead of throwing ninjer locks on dudes.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I don't think that Aikido was ever primarily intended to "work" in the sense of being proven via competition, nor even necessarily as self defense. Uyeshiba was a mystic inspired by a vision of universal peace and harmony, and so he created a -do that was supposed to physically embody that philosophy; other considerations were secondary.
    Even if that was accurate, and IMO isn't, doesn't imply that the art can't be practised in a way that could make it a viable form of self defense if/when needed.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure this was my first thread on bullshido too

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, we've been seeing more and more ***** styles work in MMA as of late. Compare the landscape of the UFC today to back in 2006 when Melvin Guillard proclaimed "Karate doesn't belong in the UFC" after beating a fighter by the name of Rick Davis. I can see maybe a prominent fighter emerging who has a few Aikido moves in his arsenal.

Problem is that, outside bullshit "no-touch" Chi styles, Aikido probably has the lowest-percentage gamut of techniques in its syllabus out of any fighting style ever invented.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A bit long but Roy makes some interesting points.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

A bit long but Roy makes some interesting points.
    All of Aikido is legal in Bjj. Can you find film of him using Aikido style takedowns in bjj?

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    All of Aikido is legal in Bjj.
    Sure, but some Aikido techniques are considered "dick moves" in BJJ, for instance:

Source: Pre-hippie era Aikido manual by Tadashi Abe

Can you find film of him using Aikido style takedowns in bjj?
    You mean in competition?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You mean in competition?
    Yes. I have looked I couldn't find anything.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me neither.

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last