Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Aikido
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knives: An early sign to stay away from this club, I say yes, or am I too harsh?

Hi guys, its been a while since I've trained (several years aikido) and I thought I would try a different discipline that has opened a new dojo in my area. The club itself has been around for some time and this dojo is them expanding to new areas.

First class I went too there is just two of us students and one sensei. Earlier classes have a dozen students or more.

All goes well to begin with, but after 30mins of training sensei walks off and comes back with a live bowie style knife, that's sharp.
    The other student has been to half a dozen classes with very little previous martial training.
    Sensei asks us to attack with a thrust to the stomach. No warning that its a live weapon, that its sharp etc, apart from "This is my favorite knife"

After a few thrusts he gets chatting to the other student and as I like, own and usually carry a knife I checked it out, felt the edge and point, check out the steel etc. Sensei says "Don't touch the edge or tip, its VERY sharp!"

My thoughts are that duty of care seems to be seriously lacking here.
    1:Live knives should only be used when someone has had and shown good training in using a wooden knife or a knife with NO edge.
    2.Students should be told the knife is sharp when it comes onto the mat.
    3.The warning sensei gave me shows that's sensei sees it as possibly injurious to a student, but lacked the fortitude/skill/aptitude to tell us.
    4.Makes me feel unsafe and I don't want to go again.

Am I being a tad oversensitive or am I justified in my conclusions?

There were a few other warning signs such as lots of name dropping and mentioning of previous martial arts teaching to Govt organisations. Lots of ego puffing...

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope. You are not crazy or being harsh. I actually kinda feel like you are being a little too kind honestly.
    The Aikido would have been enough for me to walk out but you went there for that purpose so I do understand you being patient with it. Having a new student come at you with a live blade is retarded on so many levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Aikido
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should add we were attacking each other with the knife (students), not the sensei...

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never go back there.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to approve my post after I approved OP's ...

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I should add we were attacking each other with the knife (students), not the sensei...
    Oh god no. That is beyond just unsafe, that is negligent.

We should know who this instructor is and this is going to YMAS.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 4/13/2017 11:01pm at . Reason: illiteracy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Nope. You are not crazy or being harsh. I actually kinda feel like you are being a little too kind honestly.
    The Aikido would have been enough for me to walk out but you went there for that purpose so I do understand you being patient with it. Having a new student come at you with a live blade is retarded on so many levels.
    I concour and I have big hands.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Dude!?! Really? Why?

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm more concerned about the claims of teaching government organisations!

Seriously though, training with live blades is just retarded. I'm all for pushing realism as much as practically possible but that's a step too far, the permanent injuries won't justify it.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Seriously though, training with live blades is just retarded. I'm all for pushing realism as much as practically possible but that's a step too far, the permanent injuries won't justify it.
    Beyond that, it's pretty well established that fighting against a knife-wielder, irrespective of whether you have a knife, means you are most likely getting cut. If they are training and not getting cut, it's only by the attacker performing in a precise and scripted manner to ensure nobody is getting injured. This in turn means that training is useless. So automatically, if you see real knives in training, you know you're dealing with an ineffective art. I mean, maybe if everybody wore chainmail or something, but then the net effect would be the same as training knives, so why bother?
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like a great way to get a high turnover rate for the dojo.

Instructor: "here noobs play with these razor sharp knives".

Student: "but sir what if we get hurt??".

Instructor: "shut you mouth ***** and attack while screaming HIIIYYYAAAA!!".

Page 1 of 3 123 Last