Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How does Bullshido feel about the Martial Art of Bokator

There is a martial art called Bokator in Cambodia. It shares similarities with Thai Boxing but also has definitive differences and utilizes techniques fighting on the ground. Nearly all the grandmasters were murdered by the Khmer Rouge and the ones that weren't murdered are now reticent to teach as they don't want to be considered martial artists if a new Khmer Rouge comes along.

There is one grandmaster teaching and trying to revive the art that he says predates Angkor Wat. He especially wants to teach foreigners so that the art can grow internationally.

It is one of my dreams to go to Phnom Penh and learn bokator from Grandmaster San Kim Sean.

How does bullshido feel about bokator?

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw some videos a few years back, it looked kind of great. The one I saw, they pumped in music, and the fighters were busting moves as they circled between engagements. I didn't see any groundwork.

Here you go... what's not to like? Maybe a little start/stoppy?

"Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is my understanding that most of the groundwork comes from Khmer traditional wrestling (jap bap boran khmer)

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In true Bokator fights, you don’t wear gloves and you can fight on the ground, with bouts ending in submissions or chokes.

The ground fighting is not nearly as effective as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or western wrestling, but it is arguably the only ground fighting art in southeast Asia."

-Antonio Graceffo (Westerner with a Black Krama in Bokator) although he isnt a qualified instructor b/c he didnt learn the traditional animal forms

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its muay thai with some very basic ground work, nothing else.

Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd heard accusations it's acutally repackaged hapkido combined with basic pradal serey, attempting to masquerade as a predecessor to all southeast asian kickboxing.

Big spoonful of salt on that, I saw it on a website about cambodian weapon arts (apparrently bokator is a homophone of a weapon, kind of like a long wooden gauntlet) years ago which I can't even locate anymore.

If they actually fight that's the biggest of points in their favor at least.

Style
    Yin Style Bagua
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the ways they moved reminded me of Shaolin Animal forms. I like how they fight and have a good mix of wrestling and striking techniques.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    its muay thai with some very basic ground work, nothing else.
    Looks like they are having a good time in the video tho.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mithrandir25 View Post
    Some of the ways they moved reminded me of Shaolin Animal forms.
    Oh gosh no

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mithrandir25 View Post
    Some of the ways they moved reminded me of Shaolin Animal forms. I like how they fight and have a good mix of wrestling and striking techniques.
    Some of the ways they moved reminded me of Mick Jagger strutting around.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last