Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    After attending a pro lacrosse game here last weekend, I think your boys should wear rubber suits like the Michelin Man. Holy **** that is a rough game.
    Rules for kids up to high school are more strict about body contact, fortunately. They seem to be really pushing that now in USA Lacrosse, as we got the new rules a few weeks ago with the new guidelines.

We watched a college game on utube two days ago (Syaracuse vs Albany, so not low level). It was not nearly as rough as I thought it would be. But Pros are another level, obviously, especially Box Lacrosse (indoor Lacrosse), which is a apparently a LOT rougher than the outdoor version.

The other cool thing, the lead player for Syracuse coached at a Lacrosse camp here last summer, so we got to watch him play.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally dont wear one have competed at least once without one. I have recieved knees to the face while rolling and my instructor says a mouthguard is cheaper than the dentist.

I know my habit of not wearing one is silly but with what BKR mentioned i feel my breathing is considerably affected.

Style
    Barre Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    I personally dont wear one have competed at least once without one. I have recieved knees to the face while rolling and my instructor says a mouthguard is cheaper than the dentist.

I know my habit of not wearing one is silly but with what BKR mentioned i feel my breathing is considerably affected.
    I can barely breath out of my nose (I wasn't born a mouth-breather, I became one). I use a Shock Doctor MicroFit. I have no problem breathing with it in. Sisu makes a thicker one meant for combat sports. It also keeps me from biting my tongue while in a guillotine (which I've done twice before wearing a mouthguard).

Now I just need to figure out how to stop getting guillotined.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarshMallow View Post
    I can barely breath out of my nose (I wasn't born a mouth-breather, I became one). I use a Shock Doctor MicroFit. I have no problem breathing with it in. Sisu makes a thicker one meant for combat sports. It also keeps me from biting my tongue while in a guillotine (which I've done twice before wearing a mouthguard).

Now I just need to figure out how to stop getting guillotined.
    Stop sticking your neck out?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Barre Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Stop sticking your neck out?
    In all seriousness, yes. I often find that I'm leaning too far forward when in someone's guard as well as when I'm passing the guard. I'm a little top heavy as well so, when I'm forward it's easy to pull me off balance.

I guess we all have our demons to slay.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Wear a mouthguard when you drill, roll, or spar.
    It's not just the $3,000 full implant replacement of the tooth that gets knocked out.
    It's not just having to replace fillings as they get knocked loose.
    It's not just ending up with every tooth in your mouth having visible chips.
    If you do the sport for any of the time, as in real time, couple decades or a few decades,
    all of the microfractures in your teeth end up being cumulative.
    Nowadays, modern dentists can crown you up or implant you some new teeth,
    but it is expensive, unpleasant, and actually unnecessary.
    Get a quality sports mouthguard and wear it while you grapple, or drill, or spar.
    And, get dental cleaning a couple times a year with a dental check up.
    Horse and fighters, ya gotta keep their teeth and gums in good health.
    I don't. Even when I am sparring in a striking art. I should but I don't. I just got into a bad habit. I hate wearing gear.

Over the years, I have had a full reconstruction of the left side of my face (compound fractures to my cheekbone and eye socket) I had my lower lip reattached to my face, tons of stitches and staples and micro surgeries. Had my nose broken 2 years ago. Didn't get it reset, cool looking lump there now.

Some of this came from training/competing. Some came from drinking and being a complete idiot (27 years of no drinking today).

My son will wear protective gear, I guarantee that.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently in a fighting-related dental clusterfuck right now. Had a damaged tooth get infected, had to have it pulled. Waited six months for it to heal, with a removable fake front tooth I have to take out to eat. A few weeks ago, had a bone graft, soft tissue graft and implant post done, at great expense. Still have to let the new surgery heal another 6 months. So, a year of pulling out my front tooth like a hillbilly to eat and thousands of dollars later and I should be back to normal teeth. I've sidelined myself from combat sports until it's over. I hit my heavy bag and lift, but no sparring.

Wear a mouthpiece, tough guy!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Permalost....voted up for good advice.

For back teeth replacement is $4k!! You need to wear the mouth guard from day 1 so you get used to it.

I did not, didn't try until I was already sparring.

BKR: Voted up. I have voted you up 3-4 times in the last 24 hours. No homo.

Most forums limit the number of times you can vote.

Style
    BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sound advice. I've recently invested in a decent custom mouth guard, after accidentally chipping a veneer from an accidental stray knee whilst rolling. Expensive lesson learned, plan on wearing it during Judo too.

Style
    MMA/ Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Fully agree with the OP on mouthguards but I know a lot of people have the breathing issue (especially us mouth breathers). I've worn mine for all training since an unexpected punch in the mouth shredded my lip against my teeth.

There's normally a space between your top and bottom teeth when you close your mouth, you can mouth breath though it. A mouthguard with a flat bottom will fill that space and virtually seal against your bottom teeth. That seems to be what inhibits breathing in a lot of people.

It also encourages the habit of fighting mouth open when out of breath , I believe that makes the lower jaw more vulnerable and increases the risk of tongue biting.

I've found a ridged bottom mouthguard (I use a shock doctor but there are others) keeps that breathing space open even with a clamped jaw. It's not perfect but you should get used to it if you do all your training with it.

Page 2 of 2 First 12