--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

catch wrestling school in Queens , NY Maspeth

There is a catch wrestling school in maspeth Queens. It's an affiliate with snake pit and I tried to find reviews on the catch wrestling side but not much information.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this school have a name?
    Does this school have an address?
    Does this school have a phone number?
    Does this school have a website?
    Does this school make untrue or problematic claims?
    What exactly is the reason that you feel this school needs to be investigated?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school is located in queens NY. Its called Maspethmartialarts . Their web site is the same name too. It looks like a tae kwon do / kickboxing and looks like mostly kids goes there but they teach catch wrestling .

Here in NY its rare to find a catch wrestling school . This school is linked up with snake pit which makes them legit but when i google the instructor name nothing comes up regarding catch wrestling.

Just wondering if others know about this school or the instructor.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you call the Snake Pit U.S.A. and confirm that affiliation, and what that affiliation means, and if the instructor of your school of interest has any instructor credential with them besides just a school affiliation.

The guys running the Snake Pit U.S.A. are not cream puffs as far as I am aware, and some of the coaches have serious wrestling competition backgrounds.

Why don't confirm the Snake Pit USA acknowledges that affiliation, and what level of connection they really have with the Snake Pit USA?

Is it this school that is listed on the Snake Pit USA affiliate page:

http://maspethmartialarts.com/

If so, I could not find an instructor bio on that site.

If I couldn't find the instructor bio because I only did a very cursory skim of the site, that is one thing.

If there is no instructor bio, that is a bit odd.

You might want to find out what the instructor's wrestling or submission wrestling or catch wrestling competition record was, and/or whom they have coached to success in those venues or related competition venues.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 3/29/2017 9:53pm at .

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Why don't you call the Snake Pit U.S.A. and confirm that affiliation, and what that affiliation means, and if the instructor of your school of interest has any instructor credential with them besides just a school affiliation.

The guys running the Snake Pit U.S.A. are not cream puffs as far as I am aware, and some of the coaches have serious wrestling competition backgrounds.

Why don't confirm the Snake Pit USA acknowledges that affiliation, and what level of connection they really have with the Snake Pit USA?

Is it this school that is listed on the Snake Pit USA affiliate page:

http://maspethmartialarts.com/

If so, I could not find an instructor bio on that site.

If I couldn't find the instructor bio because I only did a very cursory skim of the site, that is one thing.

If there is no instructor bio, that is a bit odd.

You might want to find out what the instructor's wrestling or submission wrestling or catch wrestling competition record was, and/or whom they have coached to success in those venues or related competition venues.
    I found his bio here:
    http://catchwrestlingnyc.com/

It says
    Coach Angel Redondo is the Founder and Full Time Catch Wrestling coach at Catch Wrestling NYC, Maspeth Martial Arts. Although Coach Angel is relatively a new Catch Wrestling coach, he brings over 25 years of experience in the Martial Arts field as an Instructor. The tried and proven methods of several instructors is available to Coach Angel and Catch Wrestling NYC, but it is the way Coach Angel applies his knowledge that sets him apart from other coaches. Coming from a Traditional Taekwondo background Coach Angel believes in drilling skills and techniques over and over. In his catch wresting classes, he will make you drill a submission, takedown, transition or whatever the move the class is covering until you get it and only then he will make you try it on him to make sure you really got it. The dedication to teaching Catch Wrestling is obvious in every class. Coach Angel will drill with every class participant in every class.
    At Catch Wrestling NYC, we believe that developing and maintaining a sound mind and body is crucial in getting the most out of life. Equally important is that you have fun, make new friends, and increase your basic safety. We believe in teaching without the use of fear and/or force as a tool to implement learning. Coach Angel will lead you through your Catch Wrestling training in a friendly and professional manner. We strongly stress that our members ask questions. Nobody should ever walk out of our facility with a question or concern. Our staff will always take time to clarify any unclear information.

Catch Wrestling NYC is willing to grow with our members and anyone willing to positively and without egos train in the art of Catch Wrestling. We will always welcome anyone regardless of skill level and Martial Arts Style.

See you guys in the mat.
    I give him major props for his honesty in his experience.

Becoming a decent wrestling coach in the US isn't hard. You can do online courses to get certified up to Bronze level for USA Wrestling, a week long seminar for Silver level, and well a bit more than that for Gold level. I would also say that the level of professionalism and professional development that comes with that is fairly decent. Unlike BJJ wrestling isn't complicated, it's just hard. So if the guy is committed to making the program good and professional development there is no reason to believe that this would be a bad thing at all, especially given his initial openness and honesty regarding his own background in catch wrestling.

Would it be the best wrestling instruction you can get? In New York(a powerhouse state for wrestling) probably not. Though it seems that it would be more hobbyist friendly than most wrestling clubs that are often focused on producing World and Olympic level athletes, with the adult groups being made of up those who never made it(though some still hope to) but don't want to give up a sport they've come to love.

Style
    catch-as-catch-can
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Affiliation through snake pit usa is simply paying for it. I would look more at their rank in the system.

Legitimate catch wrestling is so small and hard to find.

While not catch wrestling i would recommend you check out Sambo Steve if you are close to him: http://nycombatsambo.com/