Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFootMouthWay View Post
    See, after watching the videos you guys are now grasping what I'm dealing with. The good news is her friend is a family friend so there's no worries about losing her over the martial arts thing. In fact I've spoken with my friends (her parents) about switching schools. I've dropped hints like "man it would so much fun to see them compete at tournaments, or find somewhere that doesn't limit your kid to 2 nights a week..."

The other day I was watching a class and literally play by play I saw the Rex Kwondo wrist break technique exchange. Word for word I hear, "grab my arm, other arm, YOUR other arm..." I had to take a breather outside after that one.

Ohh well, just a few months left on the contract, (another bullshido alarm I should have heeded.)

I like the idea of doing stuff with her, I just didn't think I'd find classes that would be available to both a guy in his late 30's and kids. But I'll certainly look into it.
    Good, they can be friends without this garbage. Take them fishing. They'll love it.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a bunch of threads here about them.

I think she's too young to worry about it much, but Devil's point deserves consideration.
    If she's already in and enjoying it, staying in for now seems fine.
    I'd be leery of it turning into something long term.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats bad. There was a moment in the second video of one guy bending forward before he gets the knee. In the mess of the first vid there was a guy that went for a waist level tackle and as soon as he grabbed the hips he let go which was pretty much either at the start of a tech or just before.

These are tech demos but they are bad. Even iif a school teaches useless **** they could at least make the demos a bit more lively.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 years of shoe shoe[/QUOTE]

Lol yup. That's an awesome description of the place, and of course reading through these threads I'm glad I've been intentionally vague as to my identity, these are true believers, and I don't need a bunch of religious level wing nuts showing up on my lawn dressed like waiters at a Chinese buffet.

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Not every child wants to be a Destroyer of Worlds. Just let her wave her hands around in the air, yell Asian **** and have fun. If she decides she wants to be an actual martial artist in the next few years move her to a legit competitive school. Training before age 10 is generally irrelevant except for prodigy types.
    I don't think he cares about her competing in the Olympics (neither would I). That's not my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFootMouthWay View Post
    While I'm inclined to go this route I wonder at the long term implications. For example all my friends who grew up being forced to play the piano haven't touched the instrument in years. I got an electric guitar as a gift at 16 and decades later I still play daily. There's no doubt the piano is a more refined and useful (certainly for composition) instrument and I've since learned some, but I don't think I would have stuck with music if I started on piano.

Krav sums it up pretty well, and I'd hate to saddle an instructor and class with an unenthusiastic student as well.

Chen, my daughter is 8.
    If she likes pretend fighting, I don't see why she wouldn't like rolling MORE. (Spaz)grappling is super fun for kids. It doesn't have to be grueling.

My main issue with your choice is the environment that she'll spend hours in on a weekly basis. It's filled with bullshit people. At age 8, you're old enough to absorb the behaviour around you.

In your shoes, I'd make an effort to find a HEALTHY kids MA environment. This implies an MA that's not complete bullshit, and teachers who are not frauds and/or delusional.
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it makes you feel any better, the crappy dojo you're describing is more common than good dojos.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    This isn't as funny as the insane wall of text about how Mao tried to crush Shou Shu in China so the founder went on a tour of Asia beating up Thai boxers, then went to America to found the Triads or some ****, that then went on to describe "magic hands"

Page 4 of 4 First 1234