Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [

Yea, this is a win win situation.
    Theres no wrong answer at this point, but as far as overall long-term athletic development a legit McDojo TKD/Judo/Karate/Bjj/ school would be better. There's likely Judo and TKD at the local YMCA for pretty much the price of admission.
    If you decide to keep her there? Who cares? The little odd duck made a friend. Don't **** that up for her. Not every child wants to be a Destroyer of Worlds. Just let her wave her hands around in the air, yell Asian **** and have fun. If she decides she wants to be an actual martial artist in the next few years move her to a legit competitive school. Training before age 10 is generally irrelevant except for prodigy types.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Different situation bro. If your kid wanted to learn how to fight id agree what you say is 100% bang on. But the op mentioned his girl is awkward and not really into sports.

This is a possitive way to get her body moving and meet other kids, sure you could take her to do something else but if she hates it she may give up all together.
    I disagree. There's no excuse for **** training. If it's worth doing, it's worth training in something that has value. Go look at videos of this **** online. It's a bunch of garbage.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFootMouthWay View Post
    While I'm inclined to go this route I wonder at the long term implications. For example all my friends who grew up being forced to play the piano haven't touched the instrument in years. I got an electric guitar as a gift at 16 and decades later I still play daily. There's no doubt the piano is a more refined and useful (certainly for composition) instrument and I've since learned some, but I don't think I would have stuck with music if I started on piano.

Krav sums it up pretty well, and I'd hate to saddle an instructor and class with an unenthusiastic student as well.

Chen, my daughter is 8.
    I spend a lot of time thinking about the way I interact with my son as far as his training goes. I don't want to be overbearing. I want him to enjoy himself. All that. But still.....as a father, I can take satisfaction in knowing that regardless of the reasons he ends up on the mat several times a week, the fact is that he ends up there. And even if he quits today, when he's 30 years old he'll still know how to throw a ************ on his head and choke him to death if he needs to.

My gift to you, son.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFootMouthWay View Post
    I think I will try the soft sell on it to her. You know, convince her she wants to learn something more worthwhile. She has expressed some interest in wanting to see some real fights, and with women's MMA growing in popularity it might be cool for her to see legit full contact practitioners at work. Then again it might be too brutal and turn her off.

And I'm not going to lie, as a parent I'd love to see her compete in martial arts in some way, grappling, forms, foot tag, I don't care...well maybe anything but XMA.
    I would also recommend the soft sell. And now might not even be the time. She's still young. But I wouldn't have her involved in a bunch of bullshit either.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Long term, for sure, as for now, she's 8. Her peers haven't reached a consensus on the Santa Claus debate. If it would be socially upsetting to pull her out, that's an adequate excuse to continue.
    Nope. **** those assholes. They should never get an adult's money and they should never be allowed to influence a child one fucking bit.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    [

Yea, this is a win win situation.
    Theres no wrong answer at this point, but as far as overall long-term athletic development a legit McDojo TKD/Judo/Karate/Bjj/ school would be better. There's likely Judo and TKD at the local YMCA for pretty much the price of admission.
    If you decide to keep her there? Who cares? The little odd duck made a friend. Don't **** that up for her. Not every child wants to be a Destroyer of Worlds. Just let her wave her hands around in the air, yell Asian **** and have fun. If she decides she wants to be an actual martial artist in the next few years move her to a legit competitive school. Training before age 10 is generally irrelevant except for prodigy types.
    I can understand a kid being involved in TKD or something. But I watched some videos of the Shou Shu guys. Never heard of it before today. It's just too much. I don't want my kids around those clown fucks.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I can understand a kid being involved in TKD or something. But I watched some videos of the Shou Shu guys. Never heard of it before today. It's just too much. I don't want my kids around those clown fucks.
    Lol wtf i gotta see this. I thought it was just some slang term (like you i hadnt heard of it before).

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Nope. **** those assholes. They should never get an adult's money and they should never be allowed to influence a child one fucking bit.
    I don't really disagree, and wouldn't suggest anybody get involved in it, but if this has become a major element of the girl's socialization with her peers, I could see the argument to let it slide until she's about 12 so she could learn judo and osotogari the stupid out of all of her chums.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I don't really disagree, and wouldn't suggest anybody get involved in it, but if this has become a major element of the girl's socialization with her peers, I could see the argument to let it slide until she's about 12 so she could learn judo and osotogari the stupid out of all of her chums.
    To me, it's not so much about the quality of the training. I agree with Rayce that she's too young to get a whole lot out of training anyway, technically speaking. To me, it's more about having your child associating with a bunch of highly delusional morons. It's like meth.....not even once.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I follow you, it would be up to the OP to determine how toxic the environment is. If it's straight up Hale-Bopp, then GTFO, otherwise, if you're totally zero tolerance about your kids being around any delusional morons, you can't send them to public school, either.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last