Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Difference between BJJ, JJJ, Judo?

Hey, so I've been training in Taekwondo for a few years now and I've been looking into learning an art for ground combat. BJJ was my first option, as it's one of the most known arts for ground combat, however I've also heard that it's mainly for sports. Then I started looking into Japanese JJ, which is also ground combat and, tested by history, is lethal. Then judo, which I don't know too much about other than it's an art of throwing, is also a sport. While sport arts can be implemented onto the street (lots of videos showing BJJ used on the street) my main question is what's the difference between BJJ and JJJ? I'd also like to know more about Judo as well. Thanks.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jjj is mostly fake and a mix of shitty karate, shitty judo, and shitty aikido. Even when it's legit it generally still suck. Judo and BJJ have a ton of techniques in common, the main difference being that judo focuses on throwing while BJJ focuses on the matwork. Also BJJ generally costs 10x as much as Judo. Just do judo.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Jjj is mostly fake and a mix of shitty karate, shitty judo, and shitty aikido. Even when it's legit it generally still suck. Judo and BJJ have a ton of techniques in common, the main difference being that judo focuses on throwing while BJJ focuses on the matwork. Also BJJ generally costs 10x as much as Judo. Just do judo.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll start looking into Judo.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is some good JJJ out there it is just rare.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Good luck finding it anywhere outside of Japan. Only one I've seen personally is Hako Ryu, and it seemed a lot like Aikido.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck finding it anywhere outside of Japan. Only one I've seen personally is Hako Ryu, and it seemed a lot like Aikido.
    Plasma found some stuff up in the Baltimore-ish area. I know there is some great stuff out west and maybe Canada? I don't know I don't keep up with it but it is out there and it can be real hard to sort the wheat from the chaff ... so I would personally do Judo ... but it is out there...
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    The problem is that someone would need to know enough to separate the good from the garbage. Many (this poster included), probably wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

To the OPs point of jiujitsu being "tested by history, and lethal"... no, it really isn't. Unless it's koryu, it will be a collection of whatever techniques someone decided to stitch together at some point well after the last real samurai had surrendered his sword. If you are looking for ground techniques, judo has a significant amount of grappling. How much focus is placed on it may vary from one dojo to the next, but judo is definitely not lacking in ground game. At the dojo I train in, you can get two full hours of nothing but newaza on any given Sunday.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is often technique overlap between the three.
    BJJ and Judo and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu all generally practice simultaneous live rolling and/or tournament style play (like wrestling and Sambo do),
    that generally develops body in space awareness, and forces one to tighten up the application of the techniques.
    Drillers are killers,
    but for maximum development, situational drills with varying levels of latitude and resistance, and/or some degree of live (chaotic, potentially full resistance, and both parties attacking) sparring is extremely helpful.
    Cross training across flavors of Jiu-Jitsu, and/or grappling, and/or proven MMA "styles" is generally useful, in my opinion.
    However, the purists in a style will often accuse me (rightfully) of being a "technique collector".
    I think of myself as a comparative analysis person, but maybe I just like learning new things from new perspectives.

Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been fortunate to find some good places to train, that cover each of the styles you mentioned. I started "dabbling" with Judo while I was in college with one of the guys on our football team, that was a pretty good AAU Judo guy. I left it behind after college until after I had started BJJ under the Pedro Sauer Association(currently a purple belt). In 2013, I decided to add to my ground game and found a Sambo school about 45 miles from me, so I started training in that. In the Sambo school, they also taught Judo and Shingitai Jujitsu. The only problem I had with everything, was finding the time in the week to get in that much training. In my experience, Judo fills in the standup holes that BJJ seems to have, and the same can be said about Sambo. Shingitai has a very BJJ feel to it, as both are decedents of Judo.

I will say that, as was stated earlier, BJJ is always at the upper end of the price point for martial arts training(except for WTF TKD, which seems to be insane). Our Judo/Sambo school is reasonably priced at $60 per month. The BJJ school I trained at was a fair bit higher at $100 per month, but less than the other BJJ schools in the KC area(they average around 125-150 per month with a couple of them over $200 per month). I have my own school and I teach BJJ. I try to keep my prices around what my Judo/Sambo coach charges(I don't want to be like the other places in the area).

Depending on what you are wanting to do, go try some places out before you decide to commit. If they won't let you try out a session, then go elsewhere. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went and found a Judo or Sambo school much earlier in my training, then stuck with it no matter what. I do enjoy BJJ, a lot, but not quite as much as Judo or Sambo.