Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****? Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar? I guess we disagree.
    Nobody cares Ninja.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****?
    Yes.

Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar?
    Still yes.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****?
    mostly... I mean they could be disabled.
    Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar? I guess we disagree.
    Why would someone train in TKD or karate or bujinkan taijitsu or wing chun when they actually train in something useful? Stop being silly dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    mostly... I mean they could be disabled.

Why would someone train in TKD or karate or bujinkan taijitsu or wing chun when they actually train in something useful? Stop being silly dude.
    I did Aikido and Muay Thai for a while.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I did Aikido and Muay Thai for a while.
    Stop halping yo.

But seriously OP,
    Do what you think is fun. Just don't get twisted about what is going to improve your current skillset. TKD is NOT going to improve most amatuer kickboxers skillsets for kickboxing. The techniques and strategies are completely different and not compatible. Hence my confusion at your claims and your posts that you have been boxing training Muay Thai for five years and suddenly think TKD is going to help you kick better... that is actually silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TDK will definitely help you kick better, but maybe not like a Thai fighter, and that's fine. You can study Boxing with Muay Thai or Karate with Tae Kwon Do, if that's what you like. Professional fighters are able to cross-train BJJ with Kyokushin or Judo with Sambo or Muay Thai with Wrestling, there's no reason you can't cross Muay Thai with TKD.

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TDK will definitely help you kick better, but maybe not like a Thai fighter.
    Yeah, it will teach you to tappy-tap-tap with your foot, which will result in you breaking it the first time it gets checked in a MT sparring session that you forgot to bring shin pads to.

Just a totally hypothetical scenario about how training in a particular skill set that is extremely limited may adversely affect more full contact style training.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys, I think I've just caused a lot of confusion here. Let me try again.
    Basically, I have been doing American kickboxing for over 5 years, several times a week (I only do Muay Thai or boxing once every few weeks at my friend's gym). My reasoning for wanting to join a TKD club was that with their bigger emphasis on kicking and different kicks which we tend not to do - and work my way up the belt system. I thought that this would help me improve and give me a wider range of striking tools as I do like throwing kicks. This was further reinforced by a couple of TKD guys (3rd dans) who have joined our kickboxing club and they both have commented on how their hand combat has improved as they have been able to add boxing combinations, hooks, uppercuts etc into their overall martial arts skillset even though they obviously can't take it back to their TKD club.
    Now, my main point was that I absolutely appreciate patterns are an important part of TKD and I'd like to learn them, but the last couple of sessions have been almost all patterns and I was wondering if that is typical of ITF clubs or would WTF generally be more balanced because I would struggle to stick with a club/art where I literally don't come close to breaking a sweat. I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that any martial art is better than the other.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that any martial art is better than the other.
    Some martial arts are indeed better than others. Kickboxing is better than Taekwondo.

Also, as I said before, WTF would be WORSE.

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Humbug View Post
    Yeah, it will teach you to tappy-tap-tap with your foot, which will result in you breaking it the first time it gets checked in a MT sparring session that you forgot to bring shin pads to.

Just a totally hypothetical scenario about how training in a particular skill set that is extremely limited may adversely affect more full contact style training.
    Or, you might bend your lower leg back 90 degrees because you thought you had indestructible Thai legs, like Silva did. While there are TKD schools teaching tappy low-highs for points rather than a KO, there are guys that can take a head off with more power and speed than other kicking arts.

So, while Muay Thai might have knees and better leg kicks, cross-training with TKD will only improve your roundhouse kicks, side kicks, hook and spin kicks. Likewise, Muay Thai has elbows and Boxing doesn't, but having a Boxing background will only help your Muay Thai, not hurt it. Boxers have better hands.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last