Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bored of taekwondo after only 3 sessions?

After the fast and intense sessions of kickboxing over a five year period, I have joined an ITF taekwondo club as additional training. The first session was brilliant with lots of padwork and combinations. But the last two sessions have been literally almost all pattern work. I've done the four direction punch and block countless times. Whilst I understand that patterns are a part of TKD, I didn't think that they'd be the main focus and I don't feel I'm improving my punches, kicks or blocks. Are all ITF clubs like this and would WTF be closer to the high energy training I'm looking for, or should I just stick to kickboxing/Muay Thai/boxing?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ... TKD is foot tag regardless of branding. It is a great sport to watch with lots of fast action, hopping and spinning. I personally don't like the rule set and the skills one develops. There will never be any real contact and you will not learn how to punch with any real power or accuracy. Do you want to play foot tag and do forms or do you want to kickbox? If you are already kickboxing/Muay Thai/Boxing as you claim you should know the answer already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... also wrong forum.

Moved to YMAS.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial15 View Post
    After the fast and intense sessions of kickboxing over a five year period, I have joined an ITF taekwondo club as additional training. The first session was brilliant with lots of padwork and combinations. But the last two sessions have been literally almost all pattern work. I've done the four direction punch and block countless times. Whilst I understand that patterns are a part of TKD, I didn't think that they'd be the main focus and I don't feel I'm improving my punches, kicks or blocks. Are all ITF clubs like this and would WTF be closer to the high energy training I'm looking for, or should I just stick to kickboxing/Muay Thai/boxing?
    Your last sentence is your answer.

since moved to YMAS

ATA is where you want to be.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thinking behind trying TKD was that although I've got good kicks, TKD would help me take my kicking combinations and technique to another level but I suppose I didn't factor in how much emphasis is put on patterns. It looks like I'll be sticking to kickboxing after all as I felt the last two sessions weren't a good use of my time and money.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial15 View Post
    My thinking behind trying TKD was that although I've got good kicks, TKD would help me take my kicking combinations and technique to another level
    Why would you think TKD styled kicks would improve your kickboxing?
    but I suppose I didn't factor in how much emphasis is put on patterns.
    TKD loves forms.
    It looks like I'll be sticking to kickboxing after all as I felt the last two sessions weren't a good use of my time and money.
    How do you think the techniques compare from TKD to your "Kickboxing/Muay Thai/Boxing"? Are you doing all three? Do you think you have given TKD a fair chance?
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training a traditional martial art is the most boring and useless activity a human being can do, next to going to church. Although there's a nugget of useful, supplemental training in there (The kicking training), you're going to be spending a fuckload of time doing forms and other pointless ****. WTF would probably be even WORSE than the ITF training you're doing now.

Do you actually train kickboxing, Muay Thai, and boxing separate gyms? If you want some supplemental striking training, it might be worth experimenting with Kyokushin.

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not for everyone. Some people fall in love with it and do traditional karate their whole life. I did it for about 2 years in high school but found it stiff and "dead", although my dad having put me in boxing before that might have contributed to that. My old man wanted me to have a boxing foundation before I studied an Asian martial art, which I think was a good idea.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people fall in love with it and do traditional karate their whole life.
    Those people are typically known as "pussies" around these parts.

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone that practices karate or tae kwon do their entire life is a *****? Even if they also train in judo, condition regularly and spar? I guess we disagree.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last