Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Marvel's Iron Fist Discussion

Thoughts on this? I'm four episodes in so far. The story's much better than the fight scenes.

There's a lot of controversy about them not retconning Danny Rand as an Asian, but at least they could have cast a martial artist.

What do you think?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will binge watch tonight, and lend some input.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahahahaha I just love the argument over them not casting an Asian, because you know only Asians do martial arts and they absolutely invented it.

Although I do at least think they could have cast an actual martial artist.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

Thoughts on this? I'm four episodes in so far. The story's much better than the fight scenes.

There's a lot of controversy about them not retconning Danny Rand as an Asian, but at least they could have cast a martial artist.

What do you think?
    Anybody who has complained to me about Danny Rand not being Asian, I simply tell them to go read the fucking comic books.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Anybody who has complained to me about Danny Rand not being Asian, I simply tell them to go read the fucking comic books.
    The argument that was put to me was that since so many Asian-based stories have featured Caucasians playing the role of White Savior, this was an opportunity to correct that.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The argument that was put to me was that since so many Asian-based stories have featured Caucasians playing the role of White Savior, this was an opportunity to correct that.
    These stories need to be organic. Stop trying to force story lines that just don't work. Amadeus Cho was great as his own character not as Hulk. Shang Chi is good as his own character not as a new Iron Man.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They want Marvel to be more progressive by casting an Asian in one of the most stereotypical fucking roles for Asians?

Anyway, here's how I think this controversy evolved into what it is:

Bloggers: Look at this! Marvel is whitewashing one of their most prominent Asian characters!

Comic Book Fans: Actually, Danny Rand has always been a cracker.

Bloggers: Um... Well, they should cast him as Asian anyway. For... Reasons.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    They want Marvel to be more progressive by casting an Asian in one of the most stereotypical fucking roles for Asians?

Anyway, here's how I think this controversy evolved into what it is:

Bloggers: Look at this! Marvel is whitewashing one of their most prominent Asian characters!

Comic Book Fans: Actually, Danny Rand has always been a cracker.

Bloggers: Um... Well, they should cast him as Asian anyway. For... Reasons.
    Sounds about like what went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Listen, I'll weigh in on this one briefly.

There is plenty of opportunity for diversity in this show. Diversity is a major theme of the story: the acceptance and grace of "outsiders" is central to the character. Danny is not there to save the Asians; he's saved by Asians, and he returns that favor in servitude, to all the people represented by Kun Lun, but especially his master Kei Lung, the Thunderer.

In fact, that's exactly why Finn Jones (the lead) rage quit Twitter the last week, after being trolled by Asyiqin Haron, some creative director who happens to be Asian... Finn made a comment in support of diversity, and he got so much flak on Twitter he deleted his account to focus on The Defenders. Good call, Finn. Twitter is pretty worthless.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/finn-...over-race.html

They cast an Indian actor as his nemesis, Steel Serpent. Are we going to complain about that too, Twittersphere? Davos' introduction to Netflix superhero lore has already been foreshadowed (in Daredevil), and will probably improve the show's rocky start. That's the beauty of Netflix originals...they don't have to cancel to make room for new shows. They can just keep improving the show (and they should...so much material to work from).

This whiner? https://twitter.com/AsyiqinHaron Another useless Twitterbag, don't mind her. All she's doing is complaining about stupid things like the nationality of actors... I doubt she ever read the actual comics and novels. I hope she keeps complaining about the show, it'll help the ratings and maybe even the scriptwriting. Did I mention that according to her own feed, she watched the first episode only 14 hours ago (after trolling the lead actor off Twitter two weeks ago). Great job. You're a real artist, girlie, girl. Your medium is tears.

One thing's for sure, Danny Rand does not need to be tweeting...he needs to train.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 3/18/2017 12:01am at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol
    Frontier delivered the modem now I have netflix. Regarding Iron Fist I see what you mean by the story is more interesting than the fighting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last