Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    844
    Style
    Karate
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, for those of us over the pond. Is this a gym that gives gym goers pizza and tells you off if you train too hard?

  2. #12
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,270
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Sorry, for those of us over the pond. Is this a gym that gives gym goers pizza and tells you off if you train too hard?
    You hit the nail mostly on the head. You seem to miss the buckets of sweets placed strategically around the gym, and the early bird special of bagels and donuts for people who show up to "train" before work.

  3. #13
    Holy Moment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    7,263
    Style
    Wrestling
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, it's literally a loud ass siren that goes off.
    This would be like blasting an airhorn at a baby because you're annoyed by how loud he's crying.

    You're distracting the other customers because you're too loud, so they retaliate by blasting a siren throughout the entire gym.

  4. #14
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,270
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    This would be like blasting an airhorn at a baby because you're annoyed by how loud he's crying.

    You're distracting the other customers because you're too loud, so they retaliate by blasting a siren throughout the entire gym.
    Nope. The baby has no clue that you are trying to draw negative attention to it's relatively normal behavior. This is straight up bullying and public shaming. They are proclaiming to the world(or at least everyone in their facility with ears) that you are a Lunk, by their definition someone who grunts, wears tank tops, slams weights and judges. In short they want to make their own clique of body/fitness insecure people who empower themselves by judging, bullying and attempting to humiliate fit/body secure people.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    844
    Style
    Karate
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    You hit the nail mostly on the head. You seem to miss the buckets of sweets placed strategically around the gym, and the early bird special of bagels and donuts for people who show up to "train" before work.
    Oh dear, America, you are fucked.....

  6. #16
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,635
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Oh dear, America, you are fucked.....
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but I know a guy who knows a guy, and word is, the "gym's" business plan from the get-go was to sell memberships to people who wouldn't come to the place, at a price low enough that they would keep paying and perpetuate the lie to themselves that they were going to go someday. You could never get a serious workout there (see description of "lunk"), but it's damn near free if you want to do cardio on machines.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  7. #17
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,394
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Sorry, for those of us over the pond. Is this a gym that gives gym goers pizza and tells you off if you train too hard?
    That's the rumor. The pizza an bagels thing are both just once a month. It's not like they're there daily or weekly.
    There are buckets of penny candy. That's not hyperbole either. Like literal "buckets". Absolutely weird.
    I'm in no danger of being over fit but I don't mess around working out either. I got a circuit to get done.
    So if my low average ass gets kicked out for jubilation I'll report back.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    513
    Style
    Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I use work out there....
    A "Lunk" alarm goes off if you bang weights around by lifting heavy weight. It's kind of embarrassing. A loud siren goes off over a a sign that says "Lunk alarm" and the fat asses behind the desk will talk to you about making all the fat weak people feel bad about themselves by trying hard in front of them.

    What the holy hell?!?! So, they are a "judgement free zone", unless they judge you to be a risk of forcing the other members to some sort of objective self-realization. Irony much??

    For the non-Americans in the room, "judgement free zone" is their advertising slogan. "No gymtimidation"...Unless you are A LUNK, apparently!!

    I definitely appreciate the concept of a training safe space, being a woefully out of shape middle-age guy, who has let myself go and wants to get some of my youth back, but really?

    I guess it's all part of society's snowflake mindset. Everyone is special, except for the asshole that forces you to introspection, and makes you realize you're not special.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    844
    Style
    Karate
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That's the rumor. The pizza an bagels thing are both just once a month. It's not like they're there daily or weekly.
    There are buckets of penny candy. That's not hyperbole either. Like literal "buckets". Absolutely weird.
    I'm in no danger of being over fit but I don't mess around working out either. I got a circuit to get done.
    So if my low average ass gets kicked out for jubilation I'll report back.
    Ah, explains it a bit more, I was thinking that you rocked up to shove pizza and doughnuts in your mouth followed by 5 minutes on the cross trainer. I've done a bit of google-fu and it appears that they are all into the non-intimidating gym atmosphere - loads of cardio machines and weights that only go to 30 kilos. Interesting business model, will probably make money but won't get people fit.

    I can understand that some people find gyms intimidating but I can't see how you would really get fit somewhere like this (I suspect I'm preaching to the converted here). Speaking about all the gyms I've been a member of, most have their intimidating looking body builders but if you bother speaking to them they are all very pleasant and happy to help/offer advice.

  10. #20
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,635
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I can understand that some people find gyms intimidating but I can't see how you would really get fit somewhere like this
    As I mentioned, "people getting fit" actually runs completely contrary to the business plan. If their members tried to get fit, they'd have a massive shortage of space and equipment, and they'd have to frantically build more locations, which would make their rates impossible to sustain...

    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Speaking about all the gyms I've been a member of, most have their intimidating looking body builders but if you bother speaking to them they are all very pleasant and happy to help/offer advice.
    Which is arguably the most dishonest part of their marketing. The concept that even a sad sack of **** like myself would be ridiculed for showing up in a hardcore gym is absurd. "Hey man, you don't bench press in the squat rack, here... let me show you..."
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in