Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Meditation in the Martial Arts

Many Martial Arts teach that Meditation is crucial to martial arts, citing reasons ranging all across the board from the ridiculous (chi powers) to the mundane (focus and concentration)

Now obviously alot of that is going to be be BS, but is there meditation in the martial arts that isnt BS? is the The Wai Kru that Thai Fighters do before fighting in the ring BS? Is meditation that doesn't involve mysticism BS?

I would like to know your opinions on what meditation can accomplish in martial arts practice or if its all BS....

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No harm in taking some time to cool down and reflect on your training, or to center yourself before competition.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clearing your head so you can focus is in no way a bad thing. How you do it is up to you. Meditation, meditation in movement, head banging to death metal, or shadow boxing to hip hop... what ever, I won't judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seriously enjoy quiet, deep meditation with new age style cues and visual aids. So I find value in it. I would never suggest it gives me an edge over someone who finds stillness of mind or focus and peace in other way tho. I do suggest everyone explore who they are and what works for them, just use logic and skepticism as your guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find during a roll, I stop thinking about technique, or action/reaction. My thoughts become wordless, then free of concept. I am away from the gym, in a blanket of abstraction, fully relaxed. Then, somebody is slapping my face yelling "why didn't you tap, you idiot!?"
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narimasu773 View Post
    Many Martial Arts teach that Meditation is crucial to martial arts, citing reasons ranging all across the board from the ridiculous (chi powers) to the mundane (focus and concentration)

Now obviously alot of that is going to be be BS, but is there meditation in the martial arts that isnt BS? is the The Wai Kru that Thai Fighters do before fighting in the ring BS? Is meditation that doesn't involve mysticism BS?

I would like to know your opinions on what meditation can accomplish in martial arts practice or if its all BS....
    The idea of unifying intention with action and perfection of physical form isn't strictly an Eastern mystic tradition. Look up Aristotle on sport for example. If we strip away all the religious mumbo jumbo from the more universal experience, we are essentially coming to a point where stress induces a fight or flight response but training and stress inoculation allows the frontal cortex is controlling action and reaction. To really simplify this, there are essentially three decision making areas of the brain that don't necessarily play well together. The first and most primitive is the amygdala, it is the general fight, flight or freeze response. It is pure instinct, and generally what is responsible for white belt spaz outs. It is where you act entirely on whatever instincts are hard wired into you. Unfortunately for you(and me and everyone else) observational science tells us that 75-90% of those instincts will be wrong.

The second section of the brain that I'll talk about is cerebrum, the largest part of the human brain, and responsible for logical thought. Also it is pretty much the slow burner of the brain, and cannot process quickly enough for effective fast response. This will be the part of the brain that you will most often use in training when trying to figure things out and process new techniques ect. Unfortunately it becomes largely inaccessible under stress and pressure and will hand off control to either the amygdala or the frontal cortex.

Finally you have the frontal cortex. While not unique in humans, it is far more developed in humans than any other animal. It is sort of a half way position between the amygdala and the cerebrum. It will allow a properly trained individual to retain cognitive and decision making falculties in high stress situations. It fires a great deal faster than the cerebrum and only a tad slower than the amygdala. While you are actually actively making decisions a lot of it feels instinctual and you may not fully remember the decision making process, or even precisely what you did. This is what athletes call "the zone" or "flow". It is the optimal state of performance for an athlete and doubly so for those in combat sports.

Now various techniques such as meditation, self-hypnosis, trance induction and hyperventilation have all been developed to help a person enter this state. Since new two brains are the same (ask any psychologist or psychiatrist this is the bane of their existence) different people will respond with different degrees of success to the various methods.

So yes, if you understand what you are actually attempting to do, and thus what the ideal results should be, then it could be effective if your brain works that way. If not, then move on and find something that does.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends what you meditate on... I personally meditate on the idea of being capable of fucking someone up unfixably so

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only do Satanic Void Meditation.

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meditation is for pussies.
    Let's see you practice that Lamaze breathing while I punch you right in your ugly hippy face!
    Repeatedly!
    WITH MY GOUCHE!
    More like "lame-azz" breathing! Amiright?
    Yeah.
    GOUCHE!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meditation is great! Your body can only get so strong and belts can only get so dark, so meditation strengthens your chi so that you can raise your power level one day become a Super Saiyan.

Also, if you and your fellow students meditate hard enough around a camp fire, Master Splinter will appear and give you some encouraging words about teamwork and family.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last