Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 2:45am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like everyone involved made a good showing. I'd love to see some of the Shaolin guys take up Hedgehogey on his open mat offer.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 2:45am

Style: Shaolin-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, I meant without critically hurting someone (mistake in my last post). BTW, I generally hate these forums, but you guys seem like striaght shooters. Just wanted to drop a note from the Shaolin-Do side tonight. TaeBo master. It was good to meeting you. I would enjoy interacting with you in the future.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 2:46am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, he has never had one moment of grappling training. I assumed you hate stand-up arts by your own disdain of your previous training and the very signature you use on your postings.
    Noone doubts that learning all three ranges of fighting (standing, clinch, ground) is very neccesary.
    And muay thai is a STANDUP art. I love standup. I'm not naturaly talented at it.
    The sig is directed at the "str33t fighting" RBSD people who hate grappling. I actually think a standup art trained "alive" can be very good for self defense.

This all just backs up what I have always thought. I highly respect grappling arts, but they are like oil and water with striking arts.
    I disagree. I think they can be integrated easily. That's what vale tudo is about.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 2:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enough said hedge, I'll accept that and pass it on to my student.

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 2:52am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope you Shaolin guys stick around and contribute to the forums. That fact that you were willing to step up and spar in the first place puts you leagues beyond 90% of the martial artists out there.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:00am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiousity, what contact level do you guys spar at in your school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We generally keep it pretty controlled. But we train forms and conitioning hard. The contact ranges between 25 and 50%. SOrry to leave the conversation, but it's been a long one. I normally don't have much time for this type stuff (with a family and all) so don't take it personally when I seem to not post anymore. Good Luck in training

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:15am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like u gotta work on your standup hedge ...

do more sparring ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:21am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest with everyone, the fighting I saw looked exactly like all the fighting I saw done in TKD. I give the Shaolin-Do guys credit, they were pretty good at what they did. In my opinion, it seemed as though the second guy was winning mostly due to athleticism. This is of course not a criticism, because that is part of what makes up a fight, and this guy was using to to win. Hedge got out-strategized for the most part, plain and simple. Hedge would have had a much ebtter chance if he had been able to score successful takedowns, or close to clinch and lock the guy up. But the guy he sparred managed to keep it in the striking range for nearly all of the approximately 30 minutes they sparred.

Anyway, at first they were going with unlimited time, so without a KO it would have been hard to determine how the Shaolin-Do guy was to win, granted. Nearer the end, it was suggested that they do timed rounds. All in all, if the fights had been MMA fights it would have been like this:

Fight 1: Hedgehogey by armbar, round 1
    Fight 2: Shaolin-Do fighter by judge's decision. Since he was unable to KO hedge (although he might have managed a ref stoppage too....) but by the end, Hedge had clearly taken a lot more punishment.

But all in all, big props to everyone who was there. It was ballsy of Hedge to follow through and take this on, and to continue despite the beating. It was also very generous of the SD school to allow us their time.

My overall opinion is this (and it's just an opinion): As far as fighting skill goes, Shaolin-Do is up there with the top tiers of TKD fighters, most likely. In full contact events, MT guys or BJJ guys or MMA guys with equivalent experience would probably have dominated them pretty hardcore.

Bullshido or not? I'd say no. Not this school anyway, the art as a whole, who knows. I can't make any call on the McDojo issue because all we did was spar, had no chance to check out pricing, training, or contracts or any of the other relevant issues. But most of all they had the guts to take on outside competitors, which is something McDojos generally don't do. So this school has my props.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 3:31am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what i dont understand is how you werent able to clinch in th second fight ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast