Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #11
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    BKR, I wouldn't mind insight on what to chain Tai Otosh with, that's my money throw, and I'd like a transition off of a failure. Often times if that doesn't work I just pummel for double unders and go for the outside trip.
    Ok will do. Will be gi oriented though. Chilling now.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #12
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    By choke I take it you mean collar choke? I'm **** at those right now, any tips on legit threatening and finishing with it?
    It's all in the wrist. I will make some technique videos tomorrow or so.

  3. #13
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,503
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Stuff like this:

    People overthink too much.

    For Travis:
    X-Pass to KOB to, depending of partner's reaction, near side armbar - Darce - N/S Guillotine.

  4. #14
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    People overthink too much.

    For Travis:
    X-Pass to KOB to, depending of partner's reaction, near side armbar - Darce - N/S Guillotine.
    These sorts of things leave out how you get into position, but are maybe useful as one tool for understanding/visualizing the process. What separates the goats from the sheep is how you control and move to get into position.

    What's the most frustrating part of rolling with somebody good ? It's how you are totally helpless most of the time, no matter what you do. The submission is the icing on the cake.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    It's all in the wrist. I will make some technique videos tomorrow or so.
    What ? I thought it was in how mightily you haul on the collar.......
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, Tai Otoshi.

    One, Travis, I find it interesting that's your go-to throw. Was that no-gi in MMA?

    Anyway, techniques to "chain" with Tai Otoshi. First option is movement, then movement with other techniques as combination, which are to induce more movement or reaction in your opponent. I'll put in specific throws since you asked about techniques. Whole books have been written on Tai Otoshi, and the...theory of angles and throwing and directions of weakness in posture is yet another subject.
    In a nutshell:
    1.) Determine relative stance/posture.
    You are both in a right-foot forward stance (or both in left foot forward stance, reverse it all, LOL)
    Kouchi Gari versus his lead leg, he steps back, you do Tai Otoshi (I'm leaving out movement, gripping, etc)
    Hiza Guruma or Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi verses his left (trailing) leg. Will require you to circle him hard to your right (clockwise), attack his left leg with HG or STKA, then Tai Otoshi against his right leg.

    You are in right foot forward, he is in left foot forward stance
    Ouchi Gari, De Ashi Barai or Kosoto Gari to the lead leg. You have to move his lead leg out of the way one way or the other. Inside gripping position on the lapel is preferred but not required.

    So, some chains just written down.
    1.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    2.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi, Tai Otoshi, Tai Otoshi until someone falls down. Keep stepping across, which is in fact the "step across Tai Otoshi drill".
    3.) Kouchi Gari, Ouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    4.) Uchi Mata, Tai Otoshi
    5.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi, Uchi Mata (requires serious balance and agility)
    6.) Ouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    7.) Ashi Barai (footsweep), Tai Otoshi

    See the theme ? Foot techniques set up the bigger throw (Tai Otoshi).

    I just remembered that Judoka UK did a piece on Tai Otoshi, so has saved me massive amounts of work, LOL !
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...ai-otoshi.html
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #17
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, Tai Otoshi.

    One, Travis, I find it interesting that's your go-to throw. Was that no-gi in MMA?

    Anyway, techniques to "chain" with Tai Otoshi. First option is movement, then movement with other techniques as combination, which are to induce more movement or reaction in your opponent. I'll put in specific throws since you asked about techniques. Whole books have been written on Tai Otoshi, and the...theory of angles and throwing and directions of weakness in posture is yet another subject.
    In a nutshell:
    1.) Determine relative stance/posture.
    You are both in a right-foot forward stance (or both in left foot forward stance, reverse it all, LOL)
    Kouchi Gari versus his lead leg, he steps back, you do Tai Otoshi (I'm leaving out movement, gripping, etc)
    Hiza Guruma or Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi verses his left (trailing) leg. Will require you to circle him hard to your right (clockwise), attack his left leg with HG or STKA, then Tai Otoshi against his right leg.

    You are in right foot forward, he is in left foot forward stance
    Ouchi Gari, De Ashi Barai or Kosoto Gari to the lead leg. You have to move his lead leg out of the way one way or the other. Inside gripping position on the lapel is preferred but not required.

    So, some chains just written down.
    1.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    2.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi, Tai Otoshi, Tai Otoshi until someone falls down. Keep stepping across, which is in fact the "step across Tai Otoshi drill".
    3.) Kouchi Gari, Ouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    4.) Uchi Mata, Tai Otoshi
    5.) Kouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi, Uchi Mata (requires serious balance and agility)
    6.) Ouchi Gari, Tai Otoshi
    7.) Ashi Barai (footsweep), Tai Otoshi

    See the theme ? Foot techniques set up the bigger throw (Tai Otoshi).

    I just remembered that Judoka UK did a piece on Tai Otoshi, so has saved me massive amounts of work, LOL !
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...ai-otoshi.html
    Neil Adams put out a book on Tai otoshi. It's worth the money in my opinion.

  8. #18
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Neil Adams put out a book on Tai otoshi. It's worth the money in my opinion.
    Yes, I have that book from years ago. Still on my bookshelf. Until I watched this guy teach Tai Otoshi, though, I never really "got it" though, for some reason.

    And Tai Otoshi was a throw I desperately wanted to be good at from the time I started Judo, LOL! I'm still not that good at it but at least now I have some decent teaching cues and progressions to do.
    http://www.judobc.ca/training-develo...tional-videos/
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #19
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yes, I have that book from years ago. Still on my bookshelf. Until I watched this guy teach Tai Otoshi, though, I never really "got it" though, for some reason.

    And Tai Otoshi was a throw I desperately wanted to be good at from the time I started Judo, LOL! I'm still not that good at it but at least now I have some decent teaching cues and progressions to do.
    http://www.judobc.ca/training-develo...tional-videos/
    What a great page!

    I feel the same way about uchi mata, I want it "my" throw....... at this point it is not yet mine. I know I am built for it but I am having trouble hitting with impunity.

  10. #20
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    What a great page!

    I feel the same way about uchi mata, I want it "my" throw....... at this point it is not yet mine. I know I am built for it but I am having trouble hitting with impunity.
    Uchi Mata is a tough one, along with Tai Otoshi.

    Funnily, it's one of the most "thrown" throws in Judo, but as a percentage, one of the lowest scoring ones. In other words, the ratio of attempts/success (score) is low. And for example, it's high for "drop seoi nage (Seoi Otoshi, usually).

    Judoka UK has a good piece on Uchi Mata at his blog as well.

    Big hint, get chest contact before you use your leg...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in