Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for help/insight on Submission Chains

Alrighty, so I want to get to the next level of grappling, and start looking towards that purple belt. One thing I'm pursuing in the pursuit of the next level of technique and BJJ knowledge, is the chaining of submissions together from different positions. I'm looking for advice on where I can go from certain chains I'm developing, and some ideas on chains I could be using in positions where I just don't really have one. Some of these chains I am also needing to alter for a pure BJJ game, as I'd always grappled for MMA before, and some of my chains go to finishes that are not legal at my belt level.

Mount: Armbar-bicep slicer- armbar

Side Control: Kimura- Straight Arm- Keylock- Keylock around the neck- Neck crank- Pillow choke

Head and Arm Control (Kesa gatame): Far leg armbar- far leg figure four armbar- far leg step on the wrist armbar- near leg keylock- near leg Ezekiel- near leg can opener- near leg neck crank- double branch both arms up- double branch one arm up one arm down.

Closed Guard (My preferred guard): Armbar- triangle- opposite armbar

Spider Guard (Still very not proficient here): If I can't lasso and then sweep, I end up trying to get sleeve/wrist control, and pull them into a triangle.

De La Riva (I am terrible here): All I have are sweeps at the moment, and not very confident sweeps as of yet.

X Guard (I like X Guard, the trick is getting a partner who lets me put them there lol): Still only sweeps for the most part. I can see where an amrbar might develop from sleeve control, but other than that I'm lost

Half Guard Top:Scorpion kneebar or regular kneebar or kimura. None of those have a chain yet.

Half Guard Bottom- Sweep game only so far. I remember being taught some kind of slicer from here a long time ago, but it's gone now. I can reach over for the toefold if folks get lazy on me.

Back Control- Dan Severn- Jaw Crank- Rear Naked (or) Chuck Norris- Armbar

That's about all I can think of. Feel free to add your own chains, dissect mine, offer suggestions or alternatives. It's been a while since we had a good, long technical grappling thread, I'm hoping this sparks discussion.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I look for some of the techniques you posted (BJJ nomenclature is weird) I'd like to point your lack of chokes is disturbing.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Alrighty, so I want to get to the next level of grappling, and start looking towards that purple belt. One thing I'm pursuing in the pursuit of the next level of technique and BJJ knowledge, is the chaining of submissions together from different positions. I'm looking for advice on where I can go from certain chains I'm developing, and some ideas on chains I could be using in positions where I just don't really have one. Some of these chains I am also needing to alter for a pure BJJ game, as I'd always grappled for MMA before, and some of my chains go to finishes that are not legal at my belt level.

Mount: Armbar-bicep slicer- armbar

Side Control: Kimura- Straight Arm- Keylock- Keylock around the neck- Neck crank- Pillow choke

Head and Arm Control (Kesa gatame): Far leg armbar- far leg figure four armbar- far leg step on the wrist armbar- near leg keylock- near leg Ezekiel- near leg can opener- near leg neck crank- double branch both arms up- double branch one arm up one arm down.

Closed Guard (My preferred guard): Armbar- triangle- opposite armbar

Spider Guard (Still very not proficient here): If I can't lasso and then sweep, I end up trying to get sleeve/wrist control, and pull them into a triangle.

De La Riva (I am terrible here): All I have are sweeps at the moment, and not very confident sweeps as of yet.

X Guard (I like X Guard, the trick is getting a partner who lets me put them there lol): Still only sweeps for the most part. I can see where an amrbar might develop from sleeve control, but other than that I'm lost

Half Guard Top:Scorpion kneebar or regular kneebar or kimura. None of those have a chain yet.

Half Guard Bottom- Sweep game only so far. I remember being taught some kind of slicer from here a long time ago, but it's gone now. I can reach over for the toefold if folks get lazy on me.

Back Control- Dan Severn- Jaw Crank- Rear Naked (or) Chuck Norris- Armbar

That's about all I can think of. Feel free to add your own chains, dissect mine, offer suggestions or alternatives. It's been a while since we had a good, long technical grappling thread, I'm hoping this sparks discussion.
    I've been shown a LOT, drilled a lot, but can't really help much with names and such, plus, I can't and probably won't ever be able to remember all the stuff I've trained. My instructor is huge on chaining stuff together, he never teaches single stuff unless it's to people who are at the level of "how do armbar".

Like DCS said, lack of chokes is obvious in your lists, although there are a few. Collar chokes are good, but if you are going no-gi mostly...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I notice are dead end chains and a lack of options.
    Have you tried mind maps?

When I get introduced to new positions/techniques it often is done with options in mind.
    The opponent can typically move in a few directions and the responses come from that.
    From full guard there are tons of options and you list it as a favorite; yet only one series?
    That seems like an incomplete way to view things.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post

When I get introduced to new positions/techniques it often is done with options in mind.
    The opponent can typically move in a few directions and the responses come from that.
    From full guard there are tons of options and you list it as a favorite; yet only one series?
    Good points. Reminds me that how to move between positions, and how opponent reacts to pressure and movement are very important to study and practice.

You can do that in the context of chains, which is what my instructor does. It's all action reaction, anticipation, and training your body/mind to respond to what happens.

It works the same way in Judo standing up (throwing), which is why I tend to focus a lot on action reaction on top of fundamental posture/grip/movement patterns (chains) that result from how the body naturally resets it's balance when disturbed. You can move purposefully once you have those patterns down, from one thing to another to another.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choke>armbar>choke>armbar>choke

Armbar>choke>armbar>choke

Shoulder lock> armbar>shoulder lock

Rear naked> ezeikel>armbar

Rnc>bow choke> armbar>Rayce-Mura

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post

Can you expand on mind maps?

Yeah, I've got a few different setups from different hooks in the full guard, but my finishes all pretty much follow that chain.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Good points. Reminds me that how to move between positions, and how opponent reacts to pressure and movement are very important to study and practice.

You can do that in the context of chains, which is what my instructor does. It's all action reaction, anticipation, and training your body/mind to respond to what happens.

It works the same way in Judo standing up (throwing), which is why I tend to focus a lot on action reaction on top of fundamental posture/grip/movement patterns (chains) that result from how the body naturally resets it's balance when disturbed. You can move purposefully once you have those patterns down, from one thing to another to another.
    BKR, I wouldn't mind insight on what to chain Tai Otosh with, that's my money throw, and I'd like a transition off of a failure. Often times if that doesn't work I just pummel for double unders and go for the outside trip.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Choke>armbar>choke>armbar>choke

Armbar>choke>armbar>choke

Shoulder lock> armbar>shoulder lock

Rear naked> ezeikel>armbar

Rnc>bow choke> armbar>Rayce-Mura
    By choke I take it you mean collar choke? I'm **** at those right now, any tips on legit threatening and finishing with it?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Can you expand on mind maps?

Yeah, I've got a few different setups from different hooks in the full guard, but my finishes all pretty much follow that chain.

Stuff like this:

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last