Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting flashbacks from 2006.

This is great.

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Who?

So people should go into training with the attitude that they should learn things?

Where has anybody on this site advocated against that?
    i was reading through "state you unpopular martial arts opinions" and it came up multiple times.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Humility is important in training.

Here is the problem. All the martial arts where people spend time jabbering on about humility are the worst at actually instilling it. Getting your ass kicked instills humility. Working like a fucking slave and then getting schooled by someone who has half the training time but is more athletic instills humility. Constantly facing fully resisting opponents instills humility.

Contrast that with all the martial arts where they stand around in their jammies talking about honor and humility but don't spend enough time punching each other in the face. That's the last place you'll find humility. That's where arrogance lives, right next door to overconfidence.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty fucking cocky...... because if I wasn't I would just be lying to myself and everyone else. My momma taught me better than to lie.

One of my teachers in Philly is like 6'2 225 of twisted steel with about 20 inch arms and hes a Bjj World Champion . He says some kinda cocky ****. He also tears through world class black belts like hes Anakin Skywalker cutting down younglings.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narimasu773 View Post
    i was reading through "state you unpopular martial arts opinions" and it came up multiple times.
    But who denies that it's good to go into training with the intent to learn things?

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ...Which is so much better than the people's mind sets which this thread is directed?

Not when you are discussing concrete things like martial arts.
    A white belts understanding of the standard armbar from mount is completely different from say ... Rayce's or BKR's understanding.

One's experience matters and more importantly not everyone learns the same way despite your baseless and ego driven claims of superior learning methods.

Spoiler:

I wasnt trying to direct anything at anyone specifically, I was merely trying to see a discussion on the merits/lack thereof of humility in the martial arts.

I did not consider that everyone learns differently. I suppose i assumed that if one always considers oneself as a beginner it would allow one a greater pool of lessons to learn.

Perhaps that doesn't work for everyone.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am pretty fucking cocky...... because if I wasn't I would just be lying to myself and everyone else. My momma taught me better than to lie.

One of my teachers in Philly is like 6'2 225 of twisted steel with about 20 inch arms and hes a Bjj World Champion . He says some kinda cocky ****. He also tears through world class black belts like hes Anakin Skywalker cutting down younglings.
    I'm an artist of unparalleled sexual charisma:

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am pretty fucking cocky
    Regardless of how good you are, have you considered the possibility that you might be better if you were less cocky? Maybe you don't have enough training partners that can kick your ass.

Or maybe that isn't the case. Maybe you're just a knuckle dragger with a weak mind and a strong back. It wouldn't be the first time I've suspected as much.

You should learn to be more humble like me.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Tyson comes to mind when I think about humility. He was way more badass when he still had some.

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    But who denies that it's good to go into training with the intent to learn things?
    I only ever saw the concept of "humility" be derided not the concept of intentional learning in general.

but i still do think that without martial humility it inhibits the potential learning.

For instance, if i think i am the worlds greatest painter, i might not care about or listen to the opinion of "lesser" painters. If i was to do that it would prevent me learning everything i could have learned had i respected and listened openly to aforementioned painters.

Page 2 of 11 First 123456 ... Last