Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Humility in the Martial Arts.

I have seen many posters here deride the concept of humility being a valuable asset of a martial artist.

But i think that humility has a lot of value in martial arts and even in all skills one must learn from others.

First off, as they say in my zen lineage, humility allows you to have Shoshin or "Beginners Mind". While i am not saying that in and of itself, Shoshin makes you good at anything, i am trying to say that Shoshin allows one to learn more easily and more completely by not allowing preconceptions and/or "delusions of grandeur" to impede the knowledge one can gain from the people around them, teachers and students.

Someone who thinks they know more than everyone only inhibits the rate at which they can increase their knowledge.

And secondly, i believe humility is important in the martial arts, as in all other things, b/c it allows one to measure one's abilities in a more realistic light.

In summation, i would say that humility can make someone a better martial artist by increasing the rate at which they can learn.
    Last edited by Narimasu773; 3/06/2017 3:47pm at .

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue is it shouldn't be different in martial arts than it is in the rest of your life. It's like the concept of "sportsmanship". You shouldn't magically praise not acting like a **** in specific activities. **** is universal.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narimasu773 View Post
    I have seen many posters here deride the concept of humility being a valuable asset of a martial artist.
    Probably because they are tired of martial artists bragging about how humble they are.

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Probably because they are tired of martial artists bragging about how humble they are.
    that is generally an indicator that the bragging martial artist missed the entire point..

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    The issue is it shouldn't be different in martial arts than it is in the rest of your life. It's like the concept of "sportsmanship". You shouldn't magically praise not acting like a **** in specific activities. **** is universal.
    it is exactly the same in martial arts as it is in life. Shoshin allows you to learn faster in any skill or ability.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Humility is important when training (because you need to constantly accept the fact that you're not perfect and require improvement). The moment you think you're "good enough" or "done", you start the slip towards apathy and lost gains, and the truth is nobody who gets to a certain plateau stays there by stopping.

Humility in martial arts? If you're talking about a show of respect to Jigoro Kano before training, that's important, respecting the ancestors and patriarchs of the art and all that.

Humility as a behavior in a serious fight/conflict, though? That just seems like a form of mental or physical surrender, and thus counterproductive to what the application of martial arts implies (attack/defense).

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that is generally an indicator that the bragging martial artist missed the entire point..
    ZOOOOOM!
    *edit*

it is exactly the same in martial arts as it is in life. Shoshin allows you to learn faster in any skill or ability.
    You mean like you?
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai, HEMA, SCA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ZOOOOOM!
    *edit*

You mean like you?
    I am not defending, advocating or attesting to my own personal ability or mindset.

I am merely defending and advocating the concept of Beginner's Mind as an enabler of learning, and the value of humility in MA and life.

cannot the merits of a concept be discussed independently of the merits/lack thereof of the people discussing the concept?
    Last edited by Narimasu773; 3/06/2017 4:33pm at .

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who?

First off, as they say in my zen lineage, humility allows you to have Shoshin or "Beginners Mind". While i am not saying that in and of itself, Shoshin makes you good at anything, i am trying to say that Shoshin allows one to learn more easily and more completely by not allowing preconceptions and/or "delusions of grandeur" to impede the knowledge one can gain from the people around them, teachers and students.
    So people should go into training with the attitude that they should learn things?

Where has anybody on this site advocated against that?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not defending, advocating or attesting to my own personal ability or mindset.

I am merely defending and advocating the concept of Beginner's Mind as an enabler of learning, and the value of humility in MA and life.
    ...Which is so much better than the people's mind sets which this thread is directed?

cannot the merits of a concept be discussed independently of the merits/lack thereof of the people discussing the concept?
    Not when you are discussing concrete things like martial arts.
    A white belts understanding of the standard armbar from mount is completely different from say ... Rayce's or BKR's understanding.

One's experience matters and more importantly not everyone learns the same way despite your baseless and ego driven claims of superior learning methods.

Spoiler:

Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last