Style
    Tai Chi,MMA,knife-dueling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ip Man 3 is Wing Chun Propoganda

A high budget Hong Kong kung fu flick starring Mike Tyson, what could possiblie go wrong?

To understand what this movie is reacting to, note 3 things:

1. Bruce Lee said the only style of Kung Fu to win a match vs. a kickboxer was Choy Li Fut, and 2. that it was the best style for fighting multiple opponents:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choy_Li_Fut (see last paragraph of introduction.)

3. The are various Choy Li Fut tales of this or that master took out this or that western boxer who was touring China KO'ing Sifus. Example:
    http://www.whitedragonmartialarts.co...yuen-chou.html

The whole plot of Ip Man 3 revolves around establishing Wing Chun's supremacy over Choy Li Fut and Muay Thai, and tries to claim that it could survive an encounter against a western boxer. Because you see once upon a time Ip Man had to whoop every CLF practitioner (all morally depraved and too lazy to train effectively) in town besides their Sifu who had disowned them having "failed as a teacher."

Then he had a secret boxing match an American boxer, which was a success because Ip Man was not-KOed-in-3-Minutes.

Then again secretly, Ip Man was jumped by an exotic Triad thug who practiced a special form of Muay Thai that happens to look exactly like TKD with a few signature Muay Thai techniques thrown in. Of course the fight started in an elevator, because you know, close range striking blah blah blah.

Why didn't Bruce Lee know about any of these (probably made up for the movie) events when he made his (supposedly uninformed) comments? Because Ip Man didn't like Bruce Lee, who (according to the movie) though talented, had an incredibly obnoxious and cocky personality. Why, if it weren't for Ip Man's wife dying of cancer, Ip Man would never have needed the dance lessons that Ip Man traded Bruce Lee for in exchange for Wing Chun lessons. Because you know, moral uprightness and authority and all that. And as Tyson's character said, Ip Man was clearly the "greatest fighter in all of China."

I did like the fight scene with Tyson, and it was fun to see the Choy Li Fut vs. Wing Chun rivalry portrayed so obviously.

Ironically if you want the effectiveness of Choy Li Fut combined with the brevity of Wing Chun, the thing to study would be Muay Thai, a detail I doubt will come out in future fictional portrayals of Ip Man.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 3/04/2017 8:15am at . Reason: Youtube

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The comments are everything I hoped they would be.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was there an Ip Man movie that wasn't a Wing Chun propaganda piece?

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Was there an Ip Man movie that wasn't a Wing Chun propaganda piece?
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You used wikipedia for martial arts proof, that is worse than any Wing Chun propaganda. If you use the search function, you'll find the early UFCs were BJJ propaganda.

Most style based Chinese fighting movies are propaganda for their respective martial arts. There are actually Chinese Martial arts which fractured because a student let a style lose or let out a secret in a movie.

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    LOOOOL.

It's good to be an emperor.
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean yeah, but who gives a ****? The Ip Man movies are entertaining and Donnie Yen is probably one of he best stuntmen/choreographers in the business right now. Next you're going to be telling me that Hard Boiled was pro-police propaganda...