Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How you define the Street

Ok, basically there is

- The ring

- The street

There are also countless things which fall in between these two categories and I think there is something which is beyond both perceptions of the fight(ing)

IMHO irish bare knuckle boxing is more street than ring despite that professional MMA has far less restrictions when it comes to rules

Then again it is not t100% uknown nowadays that two guys start to fight each other in the street AND more OR less consciously it comes like a supershitty amateur MMA right (i.e unknown bystander can shout like "hey stop!.... he laready tapped out!")

ironically and paradoxically sometimes i.e amateur boxing, bjj or judo fights (FIGGTS...yes, FIGHTS) what I have seen are actually more akin to what street fights at least used to mean for most ppl while at the same time young guys fight each other in the street and assume that everyone agress to some "rules" mostly derived perhaps from delusional intereption of Ultimate Figther "reality" show etc

But

When a fight really is street and when not

Pleae also consider the status of pit fighting in te context of street/ring metaphysical reality

Style
    Bujinkan, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my mind there is competition, which might be extremely aggressive but still subject to rules, weight divisions and some degree of sportsmanship, and fighting for one's life, which would be a home invasion or someone trying to kidnap you or something like that. In a situation like that you should never be unarmed (hate to sound like Phil Elmore), and unless you're in an airport or courthouse you should always have either a concealed carry, knife or pepper spray about your person.

I suppose somewhere between them in "teh street", but personally you shouldn't be fighting over parking spots or someone cutting in line at the movies or dumb **** like that, especially if you're a grown man with a family that has been training in martial arts for any considerable amount of time.

So, randori, competition, and the real thing, skip the chest-bumping. If they swing at you or your family, consider your life in danger and use all the tools at your disposal. At least, in Texas that's an option. Some states (or countries) look down on self-defense.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO the sport vs street dichotomy is useless. I prefer the affective vs predatory model

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The street," to me, is pretty much anyplace you can think of when someone asks, "Have you ever had to use your martial arts training in real life?"

It's not that hard if you're reasonable about it. If it ain't the gym, a tournament, etc. it's probably "the street."

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With this video.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO one of the big misconceptions about "the street" is that there is such a thing really as "street fighting." Sure people can get into fights, but the real threat on "The Street" is from street violence, i.e. criminals who carry knives, guns, etc...who will bash you over the head with a bat or tire iron from behind, or stab you, or shoot you. Criminals don't care if you are an expert in martial arts because they don't usually intend to fight you in the first place. Human as an animal did not dominate the animal kingdom with fighting, we used weapons and numbers. Numbers and weapons are the historical norm against one another as well.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MechMan View Post
    IMO one of the big misconceptions about "the street" is that there is such a thing really as "street fighting." Sure people can get into fights, but the real threat on "The Street" is from street violence, i.e. criminals who carry knives, guns, etc...who will bash you over the head with a bat or tire iron from behind, or stab you, or shoot you. Criminals don't care if you are an expert in martial arts because they don't usually intend to fight you in the first place. Human as an animal did not dominate the animal kingdom with fighting, we used weapons and numbers. Numbers and weapons are the historical norm against one another as well.
    Well, the really cool part about martial arts experts is that they're also human and can use weapons. Like, sure, I can choke out and untrained guy or whatever, but it's not like I'm gonna go unarmed to check things out when I think someone is breaking into my apartment. I'm gonna take every advantage I can get to make sure I live through it! Like, I'mma go talk to John Wick's Sommelier if I have to!

It's like when Rener Gracie was doing some interview and the guy brought up eye gouges and groin kicks and stuff. He said something to the effect of, "Yeah. Jiu Jitsu people can poke you in the eyes and kick you in the groin, too, but we also knew Jiu Jitsu! It's not like Jiu Jitsu people can't do those things."

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO one of the big misconceptions about "the street" is that there is such a thing really as "street fighting."
    Street fighting is a reference to untrained individuals who have fought enough to develop some rudimentary bare handed techniques and methodology.
    Sure people can get into fights, but the real threat on "The Street" is from street violence, i.e. criminals who carry knives, guns, etc...who will bash you over the head with a bat or tire iron from behind, or stab you, or shoot you.
    I am sorry but I can't help but feel as if you are talking out of your ass. Completely talking out of your ass. Most "criminals" are nonviolent and violent crime has been on a 50 year down swing.
    Criminals don't care if you are an expert in martial arts because they don't usually intend to fight you in the first place.
    Oh some truth here. You are correct most criminals have no intention to fight, hurt, nor harm you most of time.
    Human as an animal did not dominate the animal kingdom with fighting, we used weapons and numbers. Numbers and weapons are the historical norm against one another as well.
    Correct that is why one should carry a tool for defense if you are participating in or exposed to illegal activities. Preferably a tool you are trained and familiar with.
    Teh StR34ts are bullshit laden fear mongering stories told to spread fear and distrust. Many people who obsess about the StR34t are selling you bullshit usually in the form of classes and political leverage.

People who have and do face violence understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Human as an animal did not dominate the animal kingdom with fighting, we used weapons and numbers. Numbers and weapons are the historical norm against one another as well.
    Well kinda.... there are solid theories that say "we" use to run **** to about death and then just kill it with our bare hands. We are alleged to be the greatest long distance runners in the animal kingdom and maybe in earth's history.
    There's only a few predators on the planet I wouldn't pick a 200ish pound committed human over in a 1 on 1 hand to hand fight.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Well kinda.... there are solid theories that say "we" use to run **** to about death and then just kill it with our bare hands. We are alleged to be the greatest long distance runners in the animal kingdom and maybe in earth's history.
    There's only a few predators on the planet I wouldn't pick a 200ish pound committed human over in a 1 on 1 hand to hand fight.

How many angry Shih-tzus do you think you could kill?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last