Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I sometimes wonder why theres so few Sanshou clubs here in the UK

you'd think with all the emphasism on muay thai and BJJ/Judo that the kung fu clubs would be trying to push Sanshou/Sanda more as it could actually go well in a combat sport situation.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think it's becouse the quality of Kung Fu in the UK is generally poor and the instructors know that their styles won't stand up to pressure testing.

The few good ones out there obviously compete in sanda but there's so few it doesn't make a huge impact outside of decent Kung Fu circles which is a shame.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably because they are afriad to face MASTER WONG!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Personally I think it's becouse the quality of Kung Fu in the UK is generally poor and the instructors know that their styles won't stand up to pressure testing.

The few good ones out there obviously compete in sanda but there's so few it doesn't make a huge impact outside of decent Kung Fu circles which is a shame.
    that and the larger issue that people who want to *fight* don't go to study kung fu anymore, they see MMA/MT and know that they will fight if they do those styles.

people who want to live in a fantasy go to kung fu schools.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    that and the larger issue that people who want to *fight* don't go to study kung fu anymore, they see MMA/MT and know that they will fight if they do those styles.

people who want to live in a fantasy go to kung fu schools.
    which is a shame cause you'd think with all the martial background the chinese arts claim to have theyd leap at the chance to get competative and prove their superiority over yank boxing

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    which is a shame cause you'd think with all the martial background the chinese arts claim to have theyd leap at the chance to get competative and prove their superiority over yank boxing
    i don't follow it much anymore, but last i heard, the chinese MMA scene is alive and well, with a lot of fighters coming to it from sanda.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you'd think with all the emphasism on muay thai and BJJ/Judo that the kung fu clubs would be trying to push Sanshou/Sanda more as it could actually go well in a combat sport situation.
    I know of three places in London that do Sanshou, and another place in Oxford. For the most part they seem to be offshoots of WC schools or have appropriated a TMA aesthetic. So yeah really doesn't bode well for the likelihood of pressure testing. Plus if I'm paying 10 quid a session I actually want to learn from someone with a fight record, not some muppet wearing a belt they bought at Playwell before it burnt down.

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better question: Seeing as there are approximately 110million Poles, Bulgarians, Romanians and Former Yugoslavians in London (Source: the Daily Wail), why is there only one Sambo club in London?

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And risk losing face? 没办法

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    And risk losing face? 没办法
    "If you are trying to express that something is impossible"
    Is that like one hand clapping or other such vague masturbatory references noone else seems to get?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last