Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread: Crossfit

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I am a CF Level 1(certified in 2009), as well as having quite a bit of years working as a trainer with other certs, ACE, NSCA, and a few others. One thing I will say that is becoming the concern of us "old school" CF coaches is the atmosphere in most boxes these days is that they want everyone to train for competition in the CF Games. This is where the crappy technique seems to be coming form, as well as most of the injuries. Our original programming is on that pushed good technique above all else. If the technique was nto good, then individuals were encouraged to cut their weight and work on the technique, before they tried to progress in the amount they were lifting. But, those days in most gyms,seem to be a thing of the past.

OK, now for the "bad part" of what I see in CF. The CF L1 is a costly, but easy to get cert. There is a written and physical component to getting it, but you can do it with some level of good conditioning. The bigger problem is, they are throwing a bunch of info at you in 2-1/2 days, and it is just to much. The focus is on the "nine core exercises", but there is quite a bit of other stuff in the weekend as well. IMO, if a CF L1 is not supplementing their knowledge with outside help(additional training with experts in their field), then they are going to get someone jacked up. Also, if a new trainer thinsk they are going to start mass producing athletes at the level of the next Games champion, they are goign to get someone seriously injured, either through crappy programming, or by pushing them to lift weight they are not even close to being able to handle.

CrossFit can be a great tool to add to your training, but it has to be done right and not follow the trend of CF Games prep.
    I get you. However, even back when form was supposedly emphasised, why did it seem like a good idea to combine strength and cardio in the WOD structure? Or is that actually a new thing?

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure I want to subject my old body to that stuff, but I do enjoy watching the CF games on TV. Those are some very fit people.

I know one of the local "boxes" here is quite good as the same facility also houses some of the serious coaching staff for weightlifting for the province.

Some of you may remember fitness/diet fanatic TheRuss from here, he's now into Crossfit.

Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I get you. However, even back when form was supposedly emphasised, why did it seem like a good idea to combine strength and cardio in the WOD structure? Or is that actually a new thing?

The mixing of cardio with strength training in one workout is nothing new, its just that Glasman marketed it better than anyone ever has. His thoughts were to increase the intensity of the workout by drastically decreasing the rest period between sets to nothing. In the original programming the number of exercises in each WOD were very limited with the exception of Chipper workouts which were to be put into programming every other month at most. The workouts were supposed to be about working the crap out of your fast twitch muscle fibers, with the occasional work on the slow twitch. The workouts mixed with some serious low carb dietary resulted in some serious body changes, but only by those that could "weather the storm" and stay around for a while(in CF we call it drinking the kool-aid). Glasman set it up as an open source, by throwing the workouts out onto the net for free, but caused some people to has issues when they tried them at home or their "Globo-gym" with no help from any qualified source(hence the injuries from high rep Oly lifts and crappy technique).

Page 4 of 4 First 1234