Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Crossfit

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crossfit

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I've seen so many videos with horrible form, and heard so many stories about Crossfit being this cult of pushing to the point of serious injury.

What do you think?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly, a recent local published study stated that x-fitters were no more prone to injuries than other fitness-orientated individuals.

I wholeheartedly disagree with these findings. Whenver somebody in my practice says "I got my injury exercising" it is usually prefaced by one of two statements:

1. "I saw the exercise on the internet"

or

2. "I do crossfit."

The main issue as far as I can tell from merely having to fix the injuries accrued through crossfittery is chiefly the amount of broscience and broculture rampant in x-fit gyms as well as the frankly very low standards of education mandatory for x-fit trainers. I do not recommend my patients do x-fit for these reasons.

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a number of friends here in the UK who have sustained a variety of injuries from doing cross fit. All of them have stopped doing it citing poor trainers, risky exercise and quality control. It's also worth pointing out that none of them are exercise "noobs" - all of them are very fit from other sports.

I suspect that there are some good quality "boxes" out there with experienced trainers but like with Krav Maga an awful lot of poorly trained idiots have jumped on the bandwagon.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll post up a more detailed response later when I've got more time but in brief, cross-fit can be an outstanding training method for physical fitness, but like all sports (and oddly martial arts are a good analogy) poor quality control and overzealous novices give it a bad reputation.

Good cross fit gyms are worth their weight in gold but you've got to sift through some **** to find them.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So in other words, most practitioners don't have t3h r34l cr055f1t?

(Not seen that meme on BS.com for ages. ****, I feel old typing that.)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I suspect that there are some good quality "boxes" out there with experienced trainers but like with Krav Maga an awful lot of poorly trained idiots have jumped on the bandwagon.
    There is no quality Krav Maga. It's a unicorn.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    There is no quality Krav Maga. It's a unicorn.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossfit from what I have seen, pushes you to try to go to failure. As you get closer and closer to failure form simply starts to break down. That goes for any sport, by the way. It is just the nature of things. This will lead to injuries. Second to that, is if you truly go to failure, what position are you in when said muscles fail? Will weights come crashing down on you? Will your legs collapse leading to you falling off of something? Also what does that failure consist of? Is it muscle collapse or is it slow twitch muscle spasm? The first will leave you messed up for a couple of hours, the second will leave you messed up for days.

Here is a video of Crossfit box jump fails. Just look at the number of people whose legs simply give out. That puts you in a really bad place for the coming fall.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last