Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    LOL OK...so you know there's a big gap from Dancercize to real strike training...and CKO is neither of them. They're not claiming to teach you kickboxing, or martial arts. So, they're not being deceptive.
    Oh GOODY!
    They're just like a real gym, but with the bagwork component emphasized.
    Most gyms don't have a "bag work component" unless they are a MA school.
    That means as long as I vett my bag instructor as "qualified", there should be no other issues...right?
    Except that you are learning (1)Cardio Kickboxing or you are learning (2)Shitty Pretend Bagwork for Shitty Pretend Kickboxing.
    Take your pick but only choose one there is no middle ground with NO CONTACT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Oh GOODY!
    Most gyms don't have a "bag work component" unless they are a MA school.

Except that you are learning (1)Cardio Kickboxing or you are learning (2)Shitty Pretend Bagwork for Shitty Pretend Kickboxing.
    Take your pick but only choose one there is no middle ground with NO CONTACT.
    Well there is always another option, and in my case, it might be doing some personal networking, and finding local people who do practice with contact, and might be willing to work with me. I can't think of another way to literally rub elbows with a golden gloves boxer, without traveling a distance.

I'm not opposed to contact, but wasn't going to make it a critical part of my decision to sign up for a month or several. I figured WORST that could happen, I drop a few lbs I picked up over the winter and get my spring workout game on. Ruining my martial arts future was not in the metrics LOL.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there is always another option, and in my case, it might be doing some personal networking, and finding local people who do practice with contact, and might be willing to work with me. I can't think of another way to literally rub elbows with a golden gloves boxer, without traveling a distance.

I'm not opposed to contact, but wasn't going to make it a critical part of my decision to sign up for a month or several. I figured WORST that could happen, I drop a few lbs I picked up over the winter and get my spring workout game on. Ruining my martial arts future was not in the metrics LOL.
    It might be some good circuit training or a great workout. Go check it out. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you think you are doing anything that resembles Martial Arts. Just like a boxer who only hits the bag or a grappler that only wrestles with a dummy made out of old clothes and duct tape, you would be fooling yourself.

... and for the record no one plans on developing bad habits.

I can't think of another way to literally rub elbows with a golden gloves boxer, without traveling a distance.
    I am personally not a huge fan of people in general, but if you think it is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you try to do actual kickboxing at the same tempo the girls do pitter patter crap. You wil have to work ridiculously hard. So yeah do the class. Getting sharper is in part about repetition. Grining it out in one of these classes will work fine.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And another one... " competed at the ametuer level of kickboxing and has been training in mixed martial arts since his teens when he began boxing training at 15. He is a US Navy veteran, College graduate with a B.A. in Psychology and soon to be NASM certified through the National Personal Training Institute. He is available for pads, small group and personal training. "

There are practically no negative reviews online of these places that I can find...even on Sherdog there are a few threads that seem supportive of the places as decent gyms (if not actual kickboxing training).

4 star reviews, 5 star reviews, testimonials about how great the training is and how many people have gotten in great shape there...no reports of injuries.

I guess my standing question is...if these places are so terrible, why aren't more people pointing that out? It's kind of anecdotal to point at a video here and say "their instruction is bad...look at that one chick!", and to leap to "this place will lead to your total ruin".

Maybe if my body wasn't so ruined already, I'd be scared off. But if this local place ends up having a decent instructor, what's the REAL harm? I think the franchise owner has competitive experience but I've not had a chance to speak directly with him. IF his pedigree is like some of these other MMA/boxing guys...seems like a free trial class would not be the end of world or a descent into Bullshido...
    Trained in MMA isnt competed in MMA.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just went to nowhere, TX and found good striking training/excellent grappling training. I lived in nowhere, CO and got my start in fighting. What geographical anomaly do you live in where good training is so hard to obtain you are considering (shudder), cardio kickboxing? Knock off the bullshit and go train, noob.

That aside, the workouts look like conditioning days at my first MMA gym, but with poor punching and kicking technique. So yes, you will probably get into better shape. I also get why the group thing is preferable to solo workouts. So do it if a workout is all you want. There is very little chance that you don't **** up your striking technique, however. You will develop habits that will hurt you if you ever decide to get back to real martial arts.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    I just went to nowhere, TX and found good striking training/excellent grappling training. I lived in nowhere, CO and got my start in fighting. What geographical anomaly do you live in where good training is so hard to obtain you are considering (shudder), cardio kickboxing? Knock off the bullshit and go train, noob.

That aside, the workouts look like conditioning days at my first MMA gym, but with poor punching and kicking technique. So yes, you will probably get into better shape. I also get why the group thing is preferable to solo workouts. So do it if a workout is all you want. There is very little chance that you don't **** up your striking technique, however. You will develop habits that will hurt you if you ever decide to get back to real martial arts.
    Theres a boxing gym in every town. Boxing at a boxing gym is generally like $30 a month.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daw Ryu

You couldn't hurt yourself if you tried.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Theres a boxing gym in every town. Boxing at a boxing gym is generally like $30 a month.
    No, there isn't. There also isn't a hospital, gas station, bank, or funeral home in every town, either. Kiddie karate dojos, maybe...

You sound like you live in an urban/suburban zone. I live in a more rural area. The closest boxing gym is in a nearby city...I'm not going there just to train.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    What geographical anomaly do you live in where good training is so hard to obtain you are considering (shudder), cardio kickboxing? Knock off the bullshit and go train, noob.
    I live in the boondocks. Texas and Colorado are a lot more civilized than you're giving them credit for.

Even been to Pennsyltucky or the Pine Barrens? I could show you barren wastelands where there is no boxing or judo for miles and miles.

Consider yourself lucky, I guess.

Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011