Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CBP now demanding passwords to your social media accounts when you enter the US

I'm surprised there's not more outcry over this. Apparently CBP is seizing devices and demanding social media account passwords when people enter the US. This certainly isn't going to help tourism to the US. Or what about business travel? Can you imagine business travelers being arm twisted into giving up passwords to business accounts?

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/guide-...rivacy-intact/
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I'm surprised there's not more outcry over this. Apparently CBP is seizing devices and demanding social media account passwords when people enter the US. This certainly isn't going to help tourism to the US. Or what about business travel? Can you imagine business travelers being arm twisted into giving up passwords to business accounts?

It’s an interesting article which I suspect is going to impact a number of travellers to the US especially if they have a profile that might involve CPS making more detailed enquiries (e.g. either from or have visited certain Middle Eastern countries).

I appreciate that the US wants to guard its borders and if people don’t want to comply with US security then tough – you ain’t getting in.

However, I think the point about business people is a good one – lots of business people visit countries in the Middle East for perfectly legitimate business reasons. They may not want to divulge (or be able to under their companies security regulations). It does seem to be a grey area (I think) without clear legislation.

I’m due to visit the US in a few weeks for my annual bass fishing trip, I don’t have anything to hide but I really don’t want to give out details of my social media accounts, I’m tempted to bring along a “vanilla” tablet with just a new email account and a few friends addresses in it rather than my usual devices.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    It’s an interesting article which I suspect is going to impact a number of travellers to the US especially if they have a profile that might involve CPS making more detailed enquiries (e.g. either from or have visited certain Middle Eastern countries).

I appreciate that the US wants to guard its borders and if people don’t want to comply with US security then tough – you ain’t getting in.

However, I think the point about business people is a good one – lots of business people visit countries in the Middle East for perfectly legitimate business reasons. They may not want to divulge (or be able to under their companies security regulations). It does seem to be a grey area (I think) without clear legislation.

I’m due to visit the US in a few weeks for my annual bass fishing trip, I don’t have anything to hide but I really don’t want to give out details of my social media accounts, I’m tempted to bring along a “vanilla” tablet with just a new email account and a few friends addresses in it rather than my usual devices.
    Hahahahahaaaaa they might demand your bullshido password.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post

I crossed the border 4 times already this week. Nobody on the US side mentioned anything about passwords. I just show them my passport card, they ask me if I have any fruit or vegetables, or anything to declare, and I'm on my way.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Hahahahahaaaaa they might demand your bullshido password.
    Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I might cancel my trip....

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just one other thing, my ESTA ran out this year so I applied for another one for my forthcoming trip - there is now a field on there asking you for details of your social media accounts. It is however voluntary.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just one other thing, my ESTA ran out this year so I applied for another one for my forthcoming trip - there is now a field on there asking you for details of your social media accounts. It is however voluntary.
    Just think though, if you have said anything negative about Trump you could end up in gitmo. Or at least harassed for a few hours. This isn't a joke either they detained Ali Jr. for like 2 hours. He's a celebrity for fucks sake.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Just think though, if you have said anything negative about Trump you could end up in gitmo. Or at least harassed for a few hours. This isn't a joke either they detained Ali Jr. for like 2 hours. He's a celebrity for fucks sake.
    I had thought of that in light of some of my recent posts on Facebook. At least the weather in Gitmo would be better than the UK at the moment. Plus you get to wear one of those snazzy orange outfits.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had thought of that in light of some of my recent posts on Facebook. At least the weather in Gitmo would be better than the UK at the moment. Plus you get to wear one of those snazzy orange outfits.
    Yeah, but for food you have to dine on cockmeat sandwiches.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what happens if you put your accounts on private settings, and say you're not on social media? If they call you on it, you weren't on social media when they asked you, so it wasn't a lie.

"Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 Last